Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Can I run my 500 H.O without the thermostat?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 09:56 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I run my 500 H.O without the thermostat?

I,m going fishing to tomorrow and the dealership is closed today, My thermostat needs to be changed so I removed it and put the hose back on. The ATV seems to run great, no over heating and the fan comes on as it should. I would could by one on my way out of town and slip it in at our staging point ,but I would have to re burp the air out of the cooling system again, or can I deal with it when I come back home?

The weather is 70 degrees here right now.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:06 AM
Range Rover

It will overheat after a while, but for short burst of riding should be fine. I would not ride it all day long like that.... IMO

Old 09-13-2009, 10:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

You'll be fine.
And no, you won't overheat without a stat. About the only bad thing is the engine won't come up to operating temp so it might feel cold blooded.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

The purpose of a thermostat is to regulate temp restricting flow on cold engine to bring up temp to give best power avd fuel economy. Once the engine is hot the stat goes wide open to give full flow to the rad for cooling. Running without stat in 70 degrees should make no differenc for overheat-if anything it should run cooler.Put the stat back in when cooler weather . Or at earliest convenience. Justbesure to use antifreeze mix not straight water.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:15 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Doctorturbo
You'll be fine.
And no, you won't overheat without a stat. About the only bad thing is the engine won't come up to operating temp so it might feel cold blooded.

+1

Old 09-13-2009, 12:37 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctorturbo
You'll be fine.
100%

Old 09-13-2009, 01:36 PM
Range Rover

It can overheat from not allowing the coolant enough time in the radiator to cool off.
This may not be an issue in cooler climate states, but in texas it can & will overheat without a thermostat during the summer months.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dirtjunkie is 100% correct, without a thermostat, you may be ok for a short ride, but without the thermostat,the coolant will flow too quickly to be cooled effectively,and return almost as hot as it went in,so you will overheat if you ride it for long, it is just as much a flow valve as a temperature control, otherwise, they would not have designed it to run with one. I would get the stat in as soon as possible.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

It can overheat from not allowing the coolant enough time in the radiator to cool off.
This may not be an issue in cooler climate states, but in texas it can & will overheat without a thermostat during the summer months.
I have taken the stat out of at least a half a dozen street cars in my life just to try this. All in VERY hot weather.
Never did it over heat. It did not even come up to OT.

Tried this in at least 3 or 4 race cars. Some Ford and some Chevy. Outcome? Same as the street cars.

In my book. MYTH BUSTED.

(I will concede that I have never tried this in Texas with a quad engine.)

Old 09-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i have also taking the therm out of cars w/ no ill effect. if anything it would be a cold engine issue from not warming up. but again i dont live in texas either. imo

Quick Reply: Can I run my 500 H.O without the thermostat?