ATV Videos Post and view entertaining videos running the gammut from spectacular crashes to crazy stunts to everything else involving a quad.

Test Ride the Twister Hammerhead 250SS w/ Walnutt

Old 07-26-2008, 08:23 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test Ride the Twister Hammerhead 250SS w/ Walnutt

I bought a Twister Hammerhead 250SS from MeninTools.com a few months ago. So far I really love the machine. It came shipped in a 650 lb crate with partial assembly required. A couple of hours later it was on the road.

I now have 124 miles on the kart and it runs better as it goes. The initial tune-up was easy. The one thing to break was the exhaust hanger/clamp, so I fashioned a temporary out of aluminum scrap and am requesting a new one be shipped.

These karts are not indestructable, but they are awesome. The kart floats like a fine 4 wheeler, but your passenger can sit beside you instead of up on your back! The Hammerhead 250SS runs very smooth, starts easily, climbs hills, takes tight turns on narrow trails, has headlights that rule and it just doesn't stop. Some folks dislike the speakers, but I think they are great for chillin around camp and hearing some tunes when driving slow through the woods.

The basic kart, frame, engine and vitals are awesome and strong. The seats are the BEST I've experienced in a kart. Many folks here talk of USA vs CHINA and I can tell you that the USA companies are using Chinese parts. My previous 4 wheeled ride was a Manco Scorpion and it was fun, but very primitive and clumsy compared to the 250SS.

I don't think the 250SS is good for kids. It is an adult kart that will require care and respect to stay in Cadillac form with creature comforts intact. For example, many folks complain about broken fenders and stuff. Well, they don't break themselves and mine are going strong. Some parts are clearly cheaper than others, most notably are the boots and rubber components. The frame, seats, engine and all the parts that count are strong, however.

If you are looking for a sweet, compact ride with some comfort and cool trick toys then the Twister is the one. We here in the east have trees and like it that way. The Twister is the narrowest 2 seat ride in its performance class. In my opinion it is the best. I wish Honda and Yamaha would build a new buggy and stand behind it, but til then it'll be the Hammerhead Twister 250SS. BUT, If they ever do get (back) into the buggy market, a Honda similar to the Twister would probably cost $8K...

If you are planning to buy a buggy and take it to big trails for a beating then the Twister may not be best because you'll break all the cool stuff. If you are more into cutting your own trails and doing the rabbit-thing through the woods as you party and camp, then the Twister is the one if you like a hot rod with nice touches.

Fuel? It gets about 50+ miles to the gallon...

Speed? I've had mine up to 42 and didn't want to go any faster on our trails.

Weight? @ 650lb wet

Ride? Comfy, Cushy and Controlled

Appearance? Turns Heads

Price? $3799 shipped direct

Support? Don't know yet, will update later, but so far have not needed any help with the kart.

VIDEO Test Ride:
I made a video of a ride around the farm last week. It's me and my wife cruising the 250SS around. The original music is from my band, the Walnut Grove Band. The video is posted at Google Video here:
http://video.google.com/videop...RI4Pi4gLNqPXzBw&hl=en

I've also got some other photos of various farm and power toys I've tried out here too (Manco Scorpion, Baja Mini, Yamaha TT-R 90 modified pit bike, Honda XR100R, a Lowrider):
http://www.pbase.com/walnutt/farm_toys&page=all

Well, have a good weekend and happy karting!

PS
I'm no typist, so sorry for the typos, but wanted to get my opinion and video out there so folks considering a Twister Hammerhead 250SS can see what this Virginia fellow's experience has been with this cool machine.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:37 AM
Weekend Warrior
Talking Update: one year later

One Year Update:
I've had my twister hammerhead 250 super sport now for over a year. Last night I hit 330 miles. So far the only mods I've done are a new exhaust bracket (the original broke) and a Jensen ATV stereo (cuz the original speakers weren't enough). It's been a good machine and starts, runs, rides great with only basic maintenance performed (oil, gear oil, air, and wash). I do regularly emsure the crankcase breather inlet is clean and clear based on reviews I've read where this becomes a problem.

I towed a small trailer, about 1000 lbs, a couple of times with it last summer and that went okay.

More recently I've been riding it harder and faster and it has held up to the increased stress. I ride over rocks and thru woods, fields, not much mud or water.

One night I tried to roll over a large log with a heavy passenger and that was the first time the Twister did not go where I pointed it. Otherwise, it's been a great year for this twister 250.

Looking for 400 miles soon!

Old 08-07-2009, 06:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Talking Sold the Twister - Final Review of the 250SS Hammerhead

Well, with new priorities in the family (dog, band, farm) it came time to sell the Twister. It ran great right up til the very end when it was test ridden and bought by it's new owner. It was a great deal of fun. 400 miles and 1.5 years, no shop, no dealership, nothing.

Farewell my Hammerhead! It is back to my mountain bike when on the trails.

Have a good summer!

Old 08-17-2009, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider

ohh. farewell to the Hammerhead! you sure had lots of moments with it.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default How and where do I buy 1???

Hey guys I'v been looking at these magnificent machines on YouTube and many more websites for ages and I'm stil struggling to find a place to buy one :s please help me I'm desperate and I need one to help me out on the dairy and my quad is slowly dying away and not much use to me anymore. Cheers julze

Old 06-27-2010, 11:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

And I'm talking about the mighty Twister Hammerhead 250 SS of course thnx guys

Old 06-28-2010, 12:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

don't know where you call home, but the website he's talking about is still in service.
http://menintools.com/motorsports.html
you can probably call them and order or do a generic search of your area for Twister Hammerhead dealers.
have fun. i have a Roketa, i like it, BUT, the twister HH is a better built machine.