Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Problem with '04 Suzuki Eiger 400 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 09:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with '04 Suzuki Eiger 400 4x4

I have a problem with my 2004 Suzuki Eiger 400 4x4. I was just out riding, had been for about 15-20 minutes. At one point I released the throttle entirely on a light downward slope, engine braking started slowing me down, but I then came to a halt, as if it ran out of gas. Wouldn't start back up with holding in the throttle. I was able to get it started then, but any time I got off the throttle it would die. I got it going and rode back home, had a lot of minor backfires on the way.

Now, I've had an issue with this quad for a long, long time, where when the engine is cold, it doesn't want to run at idle. When you first put it in gear, and give it some gas, it wants to stall very easily, particularly if you push the throttle too fast. But even just pressing the throttle very lightly to move forward, same problem. It seems to go away though when the engine is warmed up. My other quad, an old 1987 Honda Fourtrax 250 is the same way, though not nearly as bad, so I just chalked it up as no big deal. But I can't help but wonder if the two problems are related in any way.

I'll start working on it tomorrow when it's light, but I wanted to get some opinions and read up a little on it first.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:21 PM
Range Rover

Check for water in carb? drain carb and check.
Check spark with cold engine. Make sure it is not intermittment. (espically if it is hard to start, does not start right up)
Check to see if you have same problems with fuel shut off lever on prime?

I would start with these if no help clean carb.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

After you do the things Scott told you to do and you cleaned the carb and you still notice the same problem i would look into buying a rejetting kit for the carb. I know that they run too lean from the factory so this may be the reason why it keeps stalling on you when you let off the gas. Reason being there is not enough gas being pumped through.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

While you have the carb out for cleaning, install a new sparkplug.

Eigers have an issue where the magnets become unglued from the stator (or flywheel, can't remember which) and can cause misfiring, etc.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just tore mine apart today and found all magnets came unglued. I have a 04 Arctic Cat that has the Eiger engine in it. I like you was riding the quad no problems and all of a sudden the thing died. Didn't want to start back up unless it was high RPM. OEM Cat rotor is 488-515. This is pitiful with only 700 miles on it.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Have the same problem just tore mine apart, the magnets are comming unglued, i was reiding and turned it off, went to crank it, wouldn't start back up, buddy ended up towing me to the house, anyways, how do you fix unglued magnets?

Old 08-09-2009, 12:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Exclamation Problems with 07 eiger

i am having problems with my 07 eiger i was riding it and i killed it and crunk it up and took off and then it died and was smoking white out the tail pipe.... and suggestions y it wont start?

Old 08-10-2009, 08:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by sk8rderek
i am having problems with my 07 eiger i was riding it and i killed it and crunk it up and took off and then it died and was smoking white out the tail pipe.... and suggestions y it wont start?
Are you sure it was white smoke? How about the full story behind this. Did you recently sink the quad? Generally white smoke means antifreeze, but since an eiger is oil-cooled this is an impossibility.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

did you find out what caused the white smoke mine did the same thing and It puts a lot of fuel in the filter compartment I drained it and tried to start it again without the filter and gas and oil mixture started pouring into it I dont know if it is rings or head gasket or what Just wanted to know if yours did the same thing and did you get it fixed?

Old 08-14-2009, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by 04eigerstator
Have the same problem just tore mine apart, the magnets are comming unglued, i was reiding and turned it off, went to crank it, wouldn't start back up, buddy ended up towing me to the house, anyways, how do you fix unglued magnets?

Review this post:

http://forums.atvconnection.com/suzu...ml#post2713498

Quick Reply: Problem with '04 Suzuki Eiger 400 4x4