CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Please Post your Outlander Problems or Positive Feedback Here

Old 08-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Post your Outlander Problems or Positive Feedback Here

I am a possible Outlander Max XT buyer, but am wondering about problems. On YouTube there seems to be a lot of talk about the CVT going bad on these. I hear that the CVT is the worst of any ATV, it is the most susceptible to water, and when it takes in water the clutch locks up and costs a lot of money to be repaired. Most of the videos are from 2007 or 2008 so maybe this is something they have fixed since then, but I tend to be in the water a lot, and definitely don't want these kind of repairs. Our current Arctic Cat has had water in the CVT many times, and has been drowned several times. The CVT fix is as easy as pulling a drain plug and drowning is an easy fix too. Is there something ultimately different in the Can-Ams that will ruin my machine in the same scenario? Please add in any other details or problems you have had, please add positive feedback on the machines as well. Thanks.

Also, where is the stock CVT intake and exhaust located? I see a part in the Can-Am accessory catelog that is a $79.99 CVT Air Intake that maximizes the height of the CVT, so this makes me nervous and think that it is low to begin with. On my Cat the CVT and engine air intake are both under the guage pod. Why would I need this extension and where is the stock CVT intake? Thanks again.

Pictures and or videos are welcome.

Attached Thumbnails Please Post your Outlander Problems or Positive Feedback Here-picture-1.jpg  
Old 08-08-2009, 08:43 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by tehpwnerer19
I am a possible Outlander Max XT buyer, but am wondering about problems. On YouTube there seems to be a lot of talk about the CVT going bad on these. I hear that the CVT is the worst of any ATV, it is the most susceptible to water, and when it takes in water the clutch locks up and costs a lot of money to be repaired. Most of the videos are from 2007 or 2008 so maybe this is something they have fixed since then, but I tend to be in the water a lot, and definitely don't want these kind of repairs. Our current Arctic Cat has had water in the CVT many times, and has been drowned several times. The CVT fix is as easy as pulling a drain plug and drowning is an easy fix too. Is there something ultimately different in the Can-Ams that will ruin my machine in the same scenario? Please add in any other details or problems you have had, please add positive feedback on the machines as well. Thanks.

Also, where is the stock CVT intake and exhaust located? I see a part in the Can-Am accessory catelog that is a $79.99 CVT Air Intake that maximizes the height of the CVT, so this makes me nervous and think that it is low to begin with. On my Cat the CVT and engine air intake are both under the guage pod. Why would I need this extension and where is the stock CVT intake? Thanks again.

Pictures and or videos are welcome.
Check out atvfrontier.com or can-amtalk.com there are alot more outy owners over there.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The CVT being trash comments are basically BS. The CAn-Am CVT is as reliable as any other CVT brand out there. '06 and some '07 models had a seal leakage issue with the CVT cover but it's an easy fix that has since been corrected.

The intake for the CVT is in a bad location - high up underneath the left front fender. I've found that you can safely run through water up to the racks with no problems as long as you are cruising at a slow speed. However, I have gotten some water into my CVT (one time) by running through a shallow creek repeatly at high speed. I was throwing up so much spray that some of it found it's way into the CVT and caused a minor slipping. It dried out on it's own with just a few minutes of riding in low, but there is also a drain like any other CVT brand. It is a worthwhile mod to extend the CVT venting via 2" tubing up under the pod - just one that I haven't done as yet.

Other Outlander concerns:

1. The stock brakes sound like crap. Get them wet and use them and they make a sound like someone tearing every mechanical part out of your ATV. The brakes work fine, just sound horrible. Solution is to change out to EBC pads - no problems then.

2. Not sure if the new model year is any better but the guages are prone to fogging up. This has been chronic for years with no real fix.

3. Pre-'08 models really need a skid plate. Newer models come with one standard. No big deal - just like any other big 4x4, but Can-Am used to claim that their single spar works as a skid plate too. Bad idea - a skid plate is needed.

That's about anything 'bad' that can be said about the Outy. The engine is flawless and just too much fun to describe. Handling is good but since the 800 has so much power you can overdrive your stock suspension. I've invested in aftermarket shocks and haven't regretted it. The Outy works well, but is slanted more towards the performance side of fast trail riding. If you are looking for a work ATV only, then you can get a good one for less money. The price of Can-Am's is high unless you are interested in the XT options. The Outy XT's are the same price or cheaper than competors with the same equipment. I've read a fair amount of comments against the Visco lock drive - boils down to those who know how to use it and those who don't. While a fixed locker is better for pure rock crawling, the Visco works well in all situations and is seamless and easy to use.

Since you are looking at a Max, the latest ATV Magazine did a decent write-up comparing the 2-up versions of Can-Am, Polaris and Artic Cat. The Can-Am won hands down, followed by the Pol and AC.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

I had bought a used 2007 500 outlander with 250 miles on it from a dealer and the 1st issue i had was that it was overheating. We only rode 2 miles at 20mph and it was HOT. took it in and found that the radiator had expanded so there wasn't any air flow through the radiator. fixed under warranty with a new one. We just got it back yesterday and everything it good to go. The other small problem is the start button wouldn't work,its fixed now too with a new one. I'm actually in mass. for work so i personally haven't got to ride it but a friend informed me its fixed. These are both problems i have never heard of before.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:26 PM
Range Rover

I have had my 06 for 3 1/2 years. I have not seen the videos on you tube but they are BS. I have had water in my CVT multiple times and have never had to rebuild it. All I have had to do was replace the belt. I am not a fan of the stock location either, it's fine if you are taking it easy through the puddles but if you hit them hard the spray will get sucked into the CVT causing the belt to slip and it takes very little water to slip the belt. I added a stealth snorkle on mine which meant about $20 in PVC fittings from the hardware store.
I am very satisfied with my 06 and still have not seen anything that has come out to make me get rid of it.