Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

manual to electric shift engine swap

Old 07-24-2009, 10:37 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default manual to electric shift engine swap

has anyone ever tried swapping out a manual shift with an electric shift engine? The reason why I ask is because the manual shift has a few bad gears and I can get the electric for next to nothing. The only problem I see is adapting the existing foot shifter to the emergency foot shift peg on the electric shift motor. I think I can get around the electric shift by just not using it and sealing the wires off from water. Are there any other ECM or fit issues I am not thinking of? Thanks.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

somebody?...anybody?

Old 07-27-2009, 09:06 AM
Pro Rider

I'm no expert by any means but I "think" that the emergency shift on the ESP models is intended just for that....emergency shifting. It's supposed to get you back to where you started in the event that the shift motor sensor goes bad and is not meant for full time shifting.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will reply.

I also think you will need all the associated electronics that go with the ESP engine...including the ECM.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:13 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The reason why I ask is because the manual shift has a few bad gears
The ES system is just a different method of choosing gears with your thumb rather then your foot, but they both used the same gears.

If your foot shift has bad gears the the ES will being using those same bad gears as well.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:52 PM
Trailblazer
Full Time DAD!

Originally Posted by TLC
The ES system is just a different method of choosing gears with your thumb rather then your foot, but they both used the same gears.

If your foot shift has bad gears the the ES will being using those same bad gears as well.
I think he's talking about the original "manual shift motor" when referring to the bad gears. Simply wanting to switch out the eng/tranny manual shift with bad gears for another eng/tranny ES that is fully operational.

I don't have any advice to offer though. Sorry.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

That's correct. The manual shift engine is the one with the bad gears. I was thinking the only difference between the manual and the electric shift engines is the motor attached to the shift drum. The shift forks should all be the same but I may be wrong. I may be wrong but I think existing ECM should only control the electrical (spark plug, display, etc.). None of this should change between engines of the same year, model, size, etc. Am I still off base?

Old 07-27-2009, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider

If you want to drop the ES motor into an S frame and use it as an S it should be straight forward, except that a bunch of electrical connectors, importantly your s motor has a 2 prong plug for the neutral/reverse light, the same plug on the ES motor has a bunch more wires and obvioulsy a different connector.

Search these forums for making an electric shift bike operate like a manual shift. I think it involved permantly mounting the emergency shifter to the motor, removing the gear reduction gears behind the electric shift motor on front of the engine, and reinstalling that shifter motor to fill the hole.

If I were you ( I just went through this fixing my S motor with an ES parts motor) I'd have the manual shift engine rebuilt with the gears and stuff from the ES motor. This way once you get the motor fixed you can bolt it back in with ease, no fooling with electrical issues, making shifters fit (your shifter is a splined shaft, the ES motor is a hex shaft)...etc.