Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How to determine Model Year? - Yamaha Warrior 350cc...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 12:57 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to determine Model Year? - Yamaha Warrior 350cc...

About a month ago now, I got a 1995 Yamaha Warrior 350cc from a good friend of mine...

Well, I THOUGHT it was a '95 - but now I'm having second thoughts...

I've been looking for several OEM parts on eBay, and when I see the 1995-Model-Year OEM part, it's rarely the same part I've pulled off of MY quad!

These aren't parts that someone may have wanted to upgrade with a better / nicer / faster aftermarket part (like a muffler or something, for example). I'm talking parts such as ignition coils.

ANYWAY... I need to figure out a way to determine the REAL model year, ONLY by inspecting the machine itself (VIN#? Some random serial number on the frame? Other?)... Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any pointers or advice!

Cheers,
Mike

Old 07-12-2009, 08:19 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

look at the 10th digit 95 should be S

Old 07-12-2009, 01:35 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks, Speedy!

I'll go take a look at the VIN# right now....

Old 07-12-2009, 02:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK knowledge base.... I think I got a 2003 Warrior YFM350XRC.... but that's only a guess... The engine number is 3GD-334363. The VIN number appears to have been rubbed off, which could have been the case (got it from a sheffi office auction).. So does anyone have a decode for when or other info about the engine??

thanks, Dennis

Old 07-12-2009, 06:37 PM
Trailblazer

That's ironic - it turns out that the VIN# on MY Warrior somehow disappeared, too...

There's a nice big "scratch", covered by an FMF sticker, about a foot in front of the gear shifter on my lower left frame bar. I looked everywhere else I could think of on the lower frame (even underneath), but I couldn't find the VIN anywhere.

I should probably also mention that the frame's been re-painted at some point in the past. I'm sure this probably isn't helping my search, either!...

Are there any other places on the machine where I can look to find the VIN?

I'd really like to determine the model year, at the very least, so I know the correct year of replacement parts to buy!

Thanks again,
Mike

Old 07-12-2009, 08:43 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

take a picture of the electrical plug...

also, by the gear shifter is the only place it is.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:42 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Speedy,
Not sure if this helps, but I've got a bunch of pictures of the Warrior in "My Garage" - I think that's accessible to any / all members of this forum, right?

If any of you guys could take a look at the pics and try to figure out the model year for me, it would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Mike

Old 07-15-2009, 10:34 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by MikeB82781
Hey Speedy,
Not sure if this helps, but I've got a bunch of pictures of the Warrior in "My Garage" - I think that's accessible to any / all members of this forum, right?

If any of you guys could take a look at the pics and try to figure out the model year for me, it would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Mike
In your second picture under the stator cover it looks like there is a Yoshi sticker,
serial number should be there.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:33 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Baddawg
In your second picture under the stator cover it looks like there is a Yoshi sticker,
serial number should be there.
Baddawg - Are you referring to the yellow oval-shaped sticker that's directly below the exhaust pipe (in the 2nd picture in 'My Garage')?

If so, that's the FMF sticker I was referring to in an earlier post in this thread...

I figured that the VIN# would be underneath that sticker (after all, that's where the VIN# was on my old Blaster). So, I cut the yellow FMF sticker off of the frame with a razor blade, and there was nothing underneath except a "dent" (or some sort of 'kink' in the frame - not quite sure how to best explain it), but NO VIN#!!!

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the frame HAS been re-painted, so that certainly complicates things... But, I dunno - when I cut that FMF sticker off and saw bare, unpainted metal (on a frame that someone did a near-perfect job of re-painting), it DEF raised my suspicions...

It doesn't exactly look like someone intentionally chiseled off the VIN#, but then again, I'm not certain I'd be able to tell, either way...

BUT - Why the dent/kink/bare metal, RIGHT WHERE THE VIN# SHOULD BE? And why the FMF sticker conveniently placed over this exact spot?

REGARDLESS - At this point, I barely even care about the quad's history - I know that I legitimately purchased it from a good friend of mine (and that HE wouldn't have stolen an ATV, either)...

At this point, I just want to figure out what the F**K the model year is!!!!
WHY is this turning into such a freakin' challenge?!?!

If any of you guys think it'll help, I can take more pictures of the frame / motor / whatever - Just let me know!

Thanks again for any help/opinions/advice!

Cheers,
Mike

Old 07-18-2009, 08:51 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

Take some pics of the plugs you're trying to plug into... Sounds to me like someone ground the VIN off

Quick Reply: How to determine Model Year? - Yamaha Warrior 350cc...