Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Help ID this old Yamaha

Old 06-08-2009, 12:19 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help ID this old Yamaha

I picked this up earlier today but not real sure what it is. Thought it was a custom job at first but after inspection I'd say it's a factory model. The motor has 229 cm cast into it so I'm thinking 225 or 250 shaft drive. It has high, low and reverse on a hand shifter and looked to be 4 or 5 gears on a foot shifter.
It's missing quite a few parts but might be able to put it back together if I can find out what it is and if there's another model that's simillar. It needs a carb, throttle cable and pull start assembly. Top end is most likely full of dirt, so will need a rebuild.

Attached Thumbnails Help ID this old Yamaha-yamatruck01.jpg   Help ID this old Yamaha-yamatruck02.jpg  
Old 06-08-2009, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider

what makes you think its a yamaha? it looks like some kinda knock off brand bike, i cant think of any yamaha atvs that look like that it doesnt look like a terra-pro, moto-4, beartracker,grizzly nothing lol.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:35 AM
Range Rover

Well, the engine side cover has Yamaha on it and the old stickers under the crappy paint job have Yamaha on them.
There's a few parts that have made in Japan cast also, so I'm sure it wasn't made in China.
The plastics are not cut and actually fit perfectly( all holes line up) and the front plastics look similar to an early Big bear.
I'm thinking the seat and front bumper aren't original to this bike though. Front bumper is actually welded on at the bottom mounts and seat just doesn't seem to fit.
Everything else looks like it belongs.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:12 AM
Pro Rider

yea it just looks like a mixture of things maybe...that hood just doesnt match any quad i can think of...the middle of the hood is raised up alot, big bears have racks on them and the hood is different, idno this one kinda has me boggled lol.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:52 AM
Range Rover

Actually just answered my own question, it's a one year only (that I could find) 1989 Yamaha Pro Hauler. Found a parts website that had it listed and looks like it shares alot of parts with the moto 4 of that year.
The Big bear front plastics look almost identical with a couple minor differences. This one should have a front rack also according to the parts list.
It is an odd looking bike, but that's why I brought it home.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:48 AM
Range Rover

Here's a couple pics from the Yamaha website of what it SHOULD look like. Still an odd looking bike!

Attached Thumbnails Help ID this old Yamaha-89_prohauler_tan_r34.jpg   Help ID this old Yamaha-89_prohauler_tan_r.jpg  
Old 06-08-2009, 11:54 AM
Range Rover

man it looks like half ATV and half golf cart! it's weird!

Old 06-08-2009, 02:20 PM
Shapeshifter Rider

Very rare machine. May have to improvise some parts if some are missing. You could restore and let it sit there and appreciate in value.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider

yea wow, you definitely need to clean clean clean, sand sand sand, clean clean clean those plastics then spray a few light coats of Kryon Fusion on there, i think they make a tan color like that, that would be pretty cool to restore and if you ever wanted to sell you might be able to get a bit for it.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:01 AM
Range Rover

Plastics wont be a problem cleaning up, but finding parts that will actually work might be.
Yamaha website shows it's a 230 motor, so I'm thinking a carb off a 225 3 or 4 wheeler or maybe a 250 4 wheeler and just rejet?
Will probably just fab up an airbox for it.
Front plastics are all same part numbers as the big bear except for the front fender, but would probably still fit. So guess I'll be looking for a Big bear that's being parted out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help ID this old Yamaha