Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

TraxLok on Rincon

Old 04-25-2009, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question TraxLok on Rincon

Hi all,

Will be pulling the trigger on an ATV in the coming weeks...and have a few questions about the Rincon.

What is TraxLok? How does it work? Is it similar to the Can-Am setup?

How is the Transmission? Has 3 forward gears plus reverse? NO LOW range? Pros...and cons???

Any known changes from the 2008 to the new 2009 Rincon?

Thanks,

biz

Old 04-25-2009, 06:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trax-lok is Honda's limited slip system. It does seem to operate similarly to the Can-Am, but I think Hondas system locks up a bit quicker and softer.

The transmission is high geared. It will go up any grade fine, and I've used mine to jerk some stumps out of the ground.

There are two main areas where the tall gears are less than optimal.

One is with big tires. If you want a super agressive tire bigger than about 27", you will likely have to install a gear reduction kit to spin them in deep peanut butter type mud.

The other is in downhill compression hold back. Engine braking starts at about 6 mph, but on a really steep downhill you would end up doing about 12mph without using the brakes. On the same hill w/o using the brakes a Foreman or Rubicon could hold 2-3.

Some people don't think the Rincon has any need for lower gears, and other people find having to use the brakes on technical steep decents to be absolutely unacceptable. I'm kind of in the middle, in that I don't see using the brakes as that big of a deal, but I think it would be a better machine in more types of riding if it had a tractor low gear.

The strengths of the Rincon are its reputation for long life and reliability, and it has excellent suspension and handling. Its IRS suspension isn't top heavy or wallowy feeling like some other IRS machines. Body lean on side hills or sweeping corners is minimal, yet somehow it absorbs really rough choppy trails at high speed so well you don't realize how fast you are going and how rough the trail is until you try it on another machine.

The Rincon was also the first 4x4 quad to win the baja 1000, run by one private racer. A couple years back another brand entered 5 factory sponsor racers, and ended up with 5 DNF's...

Anyway, I'd highly recommend you get a real test ride out on a trail with one before you decide. Like I said some people absolutely love them and some don't. It's too big of a purchase so be sure it is right for you before you pull the trigger.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:46 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

JeffinTD is a little comfused...TraxLok is the name for Honda's selectable 2wd/4wd, which are actuated by pushbuttons on this model!

It is NOT the name for Honda's excellent torque sensing differential (I can't remember its actual name myself)! Folks wonder why Hondas don't come with lockers....well it is because they don't really need it. This system sends 70% of the power to the wheel with traction. Lockers send only 50% of the power to each wheel all the time.....which system makes more sense to you????

Even Honda calls this an "SUV"....not a "utility" quad. If you want to cruise around in comfort, that is what it was made for (aging baby boomers who want a cruiser couch ride, is this machines target market!). Several of the mags say it has the best ride there is! But....if you want to negotiate nasty technical terrain or do "work", then it isn't the greatest choice.

A lot of folks get sucked in by "big bore displacement", thinking they will be getting some power monster. The reality is that torque converter transmssions like the Rincon has, are relatively inefficient and waste a lot of the power you thought you were getting from the big bore engine. And, no engine braking absolutely kills this machine for me.....

If you are just looking for a comfy IRS machine, also look at the new Rancher 420. It has an efficient totally unique gear-on-gear dual-clutch transmission, that can shift itself or be shifted by the rider using pushbuttons. This little water cooled/fuel injected engine screams, and makes way more power than its intermediate displacement suggests!

Old 04-25-2009, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider

Reconranger must get a cut for every Rancher sold. Swear if it were up to him everyone would ride a Rancher.

JeffinTD hit all the major points that are good and bad for the machine. The transmission has proved that it is very durable and bulletproof.

My brother on I both bought a Rincon in November. He has an 08 and mine is an 09, no differences. I love it. It handles very well and is fast enough to make your a$$ pucker if your not careful. It can pull a wheelie no problem. My brother pulls loads of wood all the time and hasn't had a problem. Again, we have only had them for a couple of months, but all good things so far.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:25 PM
Pro Rider

By the way, I am not an aging baby boomer. Just turned 30. Just like the idea of a nice ride on the trail at a good pace with good power. Along with Honda reliability, owned other brands, all Honda now.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:37 PM
Red Rider

If they put the new Rancher 420 trans in the Rincon and Rubicon, that would be a significant improvement!

Old 04-25-2009, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe so, but the existing tranny doesn't have any real problems to speak of. I know it doesn't have low and the engine braking is non existent, but its very reliable. No common problems at all. So why fix what isn't broke. It still can creep up steep hills and is rated to tow the same weight as the Foremans, that's why I think it does just fine without a low. Engine braking can be replaced by the squeeze of the brake lever that comes standard on all Rincons.

IMO the Rincon is a great machine, that was made better a few years ago with 680cc fuel injected motor. I love riding it.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:55 AM
Pro Rider

When it first came out on the TRX350 Honda called the "cam follower type front differential " Suretrac "torque biasing front differential" , but Honda kind of stopped calling it that...

Honda did us the name "TraxLok" but now use the name " Selectable 4wd " for the 2wd/4wd system ...

Old 04-26-2009, 08:04 AM
Red Rider

2009 FourTrax Rincon Specifications - Honda Powersports

On the Honda web site for the 2009 models, they are using the terms "TraxLok" and "Torque-Sensitive Front Differential". Seems designed to confuse folks!!!

Old 04-27-2009, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by reconranger
Folks wonder why Hondas don't come with lockers....well it is because they don't really need it. This system sends 70% of the power to the wheel with traction. Lockers send only 50% of the power to each wheel all the time.....which system makes more sense to you????

I have never seen or experienced this phenomenon. I wish I had a dollar for every time I have been stuck with one front wheel in the air only to watch it spin uselessly and the one with traction never move, just like every Honda I have ever seen.

Can Am uses a viscous coupler in their front diff, far superior to anything Honda ever has or ever will offer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TraxLok on Rincon