Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

2004 Eiger with no spark??

Old 01-28-2009, 06:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Eiger with no spark??

Hi everyone....I'm new to the site and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on my problem.I have no spark from my Eiger 400.Is there any known problems with this?CDI??,Mag??Any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!

Old 01-30-2009, 12:53 AM
Range Rover

The only common problem that is starting to pop up on this engine's are the magnets are coming loose on the flywheel. This will cause no spark. All of mine was loose and I still had intermittment spark. I do not know how I had any spark. The Artic Cat 400's used to use the same engine and they are also having the same problem.
The manual has step by step to trace it down. The problem with checking the flywheel and stator is that it requires a 'Peak volt adaptor' to check it. I did all the other checks myself and was going to have a dealer check the volt's coming out of engine but found some others with there magnets loose and desided to just pull the left side of engine cover off. This was after pulling off the 'oil pan' and finding some epoxy that went to magents.

Look at the topic title '02 Eiger spark intermittment' It might help.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks alot!!!I was plowing snow the other morning and it was running fine....parked it...went to work...came home and wouldn't start!I'll check that out and thanks for your help!

Old 01-31-2009, 12:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

I had the same problem with my Eiger. Brought it to my dealer, they could not find anything, said it must be the wiring harness as the stator, CDI, and flywheel were all fine. After purchasing a new wiring harness and painfully installing it myself, still would not fire. Brought it back to the dealer, they finally decided to look a little harder and when opened up, all the magents fell out and were laying on the ground, it had totally broken up and fallen apart. Soooooo check there first as it seems to be common.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks!I'm going to tear it apart tomorrow....so I will soon find out!I just hope if that is the problem Suzuki will stand behind their product....I'm not holding my breath though!!Thanks to all of you who reponded to my cry for help!!!!!

Old 02-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

*****UPDATE****.....found magnets did infact come off flywheel.....it also took out the stator...currently fighting with Suzuki to cover parts!!!!

Old 02-11-2009, 10:12 PM
Range Rover

Sorry to hear that the magnets also took out the stator. I know the parts are not cheap. At least it did not take you much time to find the problem. Since I did not have the specail pulley and tool I had a dealer just replace the flywheel. They were nice about working with me. I only reinstlled two bolts on cover (left plastics off, ect.) and that is they put back together. So I had very little in labor cost.
Suzuki would not cover my flywheel. I'm sure they know there is a problem with them but just do not want to emit it so they will not have to cover replacement cost. If you get them to cover the cost, can you give me your contact? I know Artic Cat will cover parts cost sometimes on the same Engine.

I bet the glue is not made to take the cold-heat-cold temps and over time it breaks down and fails.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

After 3 phone calls to cust service and alot of bitching.I got suzuki to cover the cost of the parts,but I had to take it to a dealer to get repaired.I'm in Pennsylvania and the Field manager for this area is Gary Evans.My dealer told me he is the one that makes those decisions?!?I told them I know there is an issue because of all the research I've been doing online.The dealer told me the new parts are updated so that tells me Suzuki knows there is an issue.Why no recall???Good luck!!

Old 02-16-2009, 09:20 PM
Trailblazer

Ziggy, Way to go. I had the same problem with my Artic Cat 400. It's a Suzuki engine and yes they are having a lot of issues with this flywheel. Artic Cat did cover my parts and it is back together running fine. The main problem here seems to be with the dealers. Some don't seem to care and won't even check with the company to find out if they will warranty the parts. I should think that they would want to back their customers and help in any way, but I'm finding that many are more interested in charging that huge repair bill.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks!!It was an uphill battle all the way over the course of 2 weeks,but they knew I had by the b*lls.the dealer told me thier hands were tied??Oh well it all worked out in the end!You can bet on one thing I'll think twice about buying a Suzuki again!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 Eiger with no spark??