CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Hooking plow to winch question

Old 01-06-2009, 08:06 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooking plow to winch question

Is this the thingy I hook my winch cable to? There is another steel loop on the plow that accommodates the hook but it's almost behind the winch. I think I got it right. Check out my new Outty! Da Bomb sleeps in my garage next to Little Mack, my Jeep diesel. Toys! Toys!

Old 01-06-2009, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's where I would put it. Main thing is to make sure it clears everything. I would suggest replacing your cable with a short section of synthetic for plowing. You can buy them for about $25. The continued up and down is hard on the cables and they will break, leaving you without a plow until you fix it (cheap) or replace it. Just a thought.....

Old 01-07-2009, 07:56 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks. I will look into the synthetic set up. I guess if it breaks, I could just cut off the bad section and reclamp the cable. I will probably be breaking 'er in later today when this freezing crud finally ends.
Speaking of synthetic, I read my manual which suggests using Bombardier 5W-30 synthetic oil. Anything wrong with just good ol' Mobil One (synthetic)? Bombardier dealer is an hour away and I don't usually go that way (north).

Old 01-07-2009, 08:32 AM
Pro Rider

Agree on placement of the hook. Same model machine as the wifes. Only real problem I had was the short brake life, replaced with EBC severe duty pads. I have never broken a cable in 7 years of plowing and am just using the cable that comes on the winch. As for the oil, I use the mobil 1. Dealer wanted like 11+ for a bottle of Bomb oil.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:04 AM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Dealer wanted like 11+ for a bottle of Bomb oil. </end quote></div>
Ouch! Mobile 1 sounds fine to me! I can mail order a couple of filters when the time comes. By the looks of this mess today, I'm wishing I had chains. You think this thing will accommodate a set of diamond V-bar chains? I'd hate to find out the hard way and pay all that return shipping. Sigh...

Old 01-07-2009, 09:24 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: upnort

Agree on placement of the hook. Same model machine as the wifes. Only real problem I had was the short brake life, replaced with EBC severe duty pads. I have never broken a cable in 7 years of plowing and am just using the cable that comes on the winch. As for the oil, I use the mobil 1. Dealer wanted like 11+ for a bottle of Bomb oil.</end quote></div>

That's interesting that your cable has lasted so long. It makes me wonder. I'm not saying they all break and it is an easy and cheap fix. I snapped my steel cable very soon after I used it while getting myself unstuck. I then made the switch to synthetic, so I haven't had one break while plowing. And there's nothing more frustrating than breaking something and having to wait 2 weeks for a replacement. I just read on this forum where it seems to be common for them to break while plowing. I do know last winter my dealer couldn't keep them in stock as so many people were breaking them while plowing, another reason I made the switch when I did. It still makes me wonder, though! Especially when I have never had one break on a truck winch.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider

Have never used chains on mine. Sure it would accomodate a set of chains as long as you ordered the right size. There has only been 1 time that chains would have helped. (melt, ice, snow storm). I did notice on my wifes bom that the visco lock does leave a bit to be desired. Could only get 3wd when we were skidding logs 1 spring. I also have read about all the breaking cables but has never happened to me. I do not pull it in tight when plowing, don't know if that wears it more. If it ever does I rekon I would just reclamp it.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:47 PM
Trailblazer

I installed a bumper or cushion on the cable which you may see in the photo which should prevent bringing it in too tightly. I am in north central PA and it seems like we get more freezing rain than snow anymore. That's why I'm taking a good look at chains. I'd be happy for a foot of the white stuff!

Old 01-07-2009, 03:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a similar setup, an 07 800XT and a Tusk Dozer plow. I first used it a few weeks back and it worked great. The standard cable was getting stuck in the rollers, so I pulled off the hook and used a chain coupler to connect the cable to the plow. Today I went out to scoop up some ice (CT) and the cable snapped. I guess I will make a loop and clamp it for now, but I want to to replace the cable with synthetic. My question is, I see on Rocy Mtn ATV they list cables for steel drum and aluminum drum. Which does the stock BRP/Warn have?

Also, I am going to switch the removable mounting bracket to offset the plow forward and give more distance between the plow attach point and the rollers

Old 01-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

I'm pretty sure that the winch drums are steel unless you ordered the winch with synthetic rope. I don't think it makes any difference, but I could be wrong. I hope it doesn't because when I made the switch to synthetic the only thing I changed was the roller fairlead as my old one had some rough areas from the steel cable. Maybe someone else on the forum could help?

I have noticed many plows are very close to the front end, which can lead to people retracting the cable too far into the fairlead. Although it hasn't happened to me as I am conscientious about it, I did take some advice on here and bought a rubber roller for a boat trailer, cut it in half, and used it as a "winch stop". It works beautifully! I paid $4 for it and it made two of them. Can't beat that!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hooking plow to winch question