Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

wear blades for glacier plow

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wear blades for glacier plow

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: manxman

I'm curious what you guys use for skidders I can make some or I could buy some any info would be appreciated.</end quote></div>

My Moose plow came with skid plates. I tried searching for a pciture online, but from the front you cannot really see the skid plates. Here is a link to what the skid plate looks like.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:50 PM
Range Rover

LT Cheg has the right idea, if you don't have a stamped concrete driveway I like my blade to clean my concrete down to the pavement. So another option would be to get a hold of a reputable and I mean reputable plow place and they make high carbon tensile steel blades for the plows that our town uses and I am sure could cut it down for your atv and they last a very very long time on the roads with a 5 ton truck pushing them around! GOOD LUCK!

Old 12-18-2008, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>
That is how most rubber cutting edges work, a piece of steel (we often used old worn down cutting edges) holds the rubber cutting edge against the moldboard. I used to be the Water and Sewer Superintendent for a municipality before I went into law enforcement nd we had to do a lot of plowing in addition to our normal responsibilities in the winter. I had rubber cutting edges on the plows for all the guys trucks who wouldn't slow down when they were plowing. The rubber cutting edges did a lousy job on the street (you had to salt after you plowed to get down to bare pavement) but it kept me from losing trucks to breakage. It kept my mechanics happy too.</end quote></div>

Anybody have any more experience with a rubber type wear bar, or specifically the Popo Floating Plow Blade Wear Bar? I have the skid plates but a rubber wear bar sounds like it may be a good idea given that I have a very uneven gravel driveway.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

For what it's worth, I used my new plastic cutting edge in the last storm and I was pleasantly surprised to find-out that it did not rip-up the grass! WOW! (my old metal cutting edge would re-grade everything!LOL)

Only drawback I find so far is that with a load in front of the blade, the plastic cutting edge tends to ride-up over the snow a little. Not sure how I feel about that. It leaves a packed skim-coat of snow on the blacktop and that's not good imo.

I think for my next plow set-up I'm going to opt for the Warn set-up with the new Power Angle feature. Plus, the blade is 11 gauge which is much heavier and solid than the Glacier imo.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:39 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: mtpockets
I think for my next plow set-up I'm going to opt for the Warn set-up with the new Power Angle feature. Plus, the blade is 11 gauge which is much heavier and solid than the Glacier imo.</end quote></div>

Honestly, I'm very glad that I went with the Moose RM3 setup now as the plow itself is noticeably more heavy duty than the Polaris plow. Perhaps the ultimate combo would be a Moose blade hooked up to a Polaris Glacier 1 frame, but alas I don't believe that there is any way to make that work.

I don't use plow shoes on my plow and prefer not to use them on truck plows either. If wear of the cutting edge becomes an issue, I'll get a heavier duty cutting edge. ATV plow blades aren't terribly heavy to begin with and I want to be able to get right down to the bare pavement so the extra pressure from the direct cutting edge to ground contact seems to help in that endeavor.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider

mt - thanks for that feedback - I have a gravel driveway and prefer to leave a packed skim coat. I think if I wear out the wear bar I may try the plastic cutting edge.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:52 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: manxman

I have a polaris sportsman 500 and I have a plow and I've plowed my driveway once already I noticed the plow has to holes in the bottom of the plow I guess it's for the skidders .I know it would make it easier to plow with the skidders I plow on gravel only I had to set blade up a bit with the winch so it would not dig in.I'm curious what you guys use for skidders I can make some or I could buy some any info would be appreciated.</end quote></div>

There are suppossed to be skids or "shoes" screwed into the holes. They're part of the plow and were supposed to come with the blade when you bought it. I adjust the skids so they're almost touching the ground when the blade is. The wear bar will grind down until it all fits just right. Polaris has 4x more durable than stock super heavy-duty skids shoes and super heavy-duty wear bars that last 8x longer than stock. Too bad those wear bars don't come in my size. They might last the rest of my life.

http://www.purepolaris.com/Det...423(PolarisPGACatalog)

http://www.purepolaris.com/Det...425(PolarisPGACatalog)

Old 12-19-2008, 11:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: *5 J's*

mt - thanks for that feedback - I have a gravel driveway and prefer to leave a packed skim coat. I think if I wear out the wear bar I may try the plastic cutting edge.</end quote></div>

FYI just remember that the plastic edge is made by Warn and Popo doesn't offer one. Simple re-drilling is required to line-up the holes. Drilling through plastic is a cinch! Took me 6 min to install.