Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

wear blades for glacier plow

Old 12-08-2008, 12:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wear blades for glacier plow

i have a 52 glacier ii plow blade. polaris does not make the heavy duty wear blades for this size blade. The normal wear blades dont last at all when plowing on concrete. anyone have any alternatives for hardened wear blades?

Old 12-08-2008, 01:28 AM
Trailblazer

Maybe your skids are not set at the right hight,the blade should not really touch much

Old 12-08-2008, 11:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Polaris HD Wear bar- 48" 56" 60" I can't understand why they don't offer it in 52".

Popo Floating Wear Bar- NEAT IDEA! I don't know what width blade it's for.

I just replaced my Glacier2 cutting edge after one season's use. I went with WARN's plastic cutting edge. All I had to do was re-drill the holes to match my G2 blade.

I plow a concrete driveway and last year's metal edge scratched the $$$$ out of my new stamp-crete driveway. Had to have it re-finished last summer.($$$)

We'll see how the plastic does this year.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:49 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

I put a bead of weld bottom of my wear blade to stregthen the edge of it but I still run the blade about a 1/4 of a in of the ground! Works great!

Old 12-08-2008, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider

yeah, the blade friction on the ground vs the skids on the sides is like 10% for the skids,alot easier on the atv.......and the surface.i lay a thick piece of cardboard on the blade only when i adjust,it still cleans all the snow because of irreg.surfaces....

Old 12-09-2008, 01:43 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And don't forget to flip the wear bar over after one side wears out. You can get twice as much use out of it.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for all the great info.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Back on 4/8/2008 I found something of interest on the John Deere website.

Part# AM132109 Rubber Squeegee kit.

It looks like it mounts BETWEEN the bolt-on cutting edge AND the blade. If I remember correctly, I called the local Deere dealer to inquire and they were less that helpful. Maybe your dealer is nice.

If I can find the link, I will post it.

~MT[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-09-2008, 07:01 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: mtpockets

Back on 4/8/2008 I found something of interest on the John Deere website.

Part# AM132109 Rubber Squeegee kit.

It looks like it mounts BETWEEN the bolt-on cutting edge AND the blade. If I remember correctly, I called the local Deere dealer to inquire and they were less that helpful. Maybe your dealer is nice.

If I can find the link, I will post it.

~MT[img][/img]</end quote></div>

That is how most rubber cutting edges work, a piece of steel (we often used old worn down cutting edges) holds the rubber cutting edge against the moldboard. I used to be the Water and Sewer Superintendent for a municipality before I went into law enforcement nd we had to do a lot of plowing in addition to our normal responsibilities in the winter. I had rubber cutting edges on the plows for all the guys trucks who wouldn't slow down when they were plowing. The rubber cutting edges did a lousy job on the street (you had to salt after you plowed to get down to bare pavement) but it kept me from losing trucks to breakage. It kept my mechanics happy too.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:06 PM
Trailblazer

I have a polaris sportsman 500 and I have a plow and I've plowed my driveway once already I noticed the plow has to holes in the bottom of the plow I guess it's for the skidders .I know it would make it easier to plow with the skidders I plow on gravel only I had to set blade up a bit with the winch so it would not dig in.I'm curious what you guys use for skidders I can make some or I could buy some any info would be appreciated.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: wear blades for glacier plow