Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

ADC FLUID research

Old 12-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ADC FLUID research

I did a lot of research about this oil.....I not found any concrete answer. I think is hydraulic oil....I cannot found if is synthetic or mineral. Do you guy have found some crossreference ???. I bought one quart for 20$ can. I think is to much pay for a quart. I know we don't change it really often but I like to have option....

Old 12-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If I were you, I would only use the Polaris fliud made and designed for it. I have read here where many folks have burnt-up their ADC's already.

Plus, make sure it's the correct Polaris fluid. (read where Dealers are using the wrong part# fluid)

Old 12-10-2008, 01:31 PM
Trailblazer

Yes I know....When I bought my X2 500....first thing I did even before running 100 feets was changing my front diff oil. No mistake here....ADC = LT FLUID. But you know....Hilliard company suggest for the front diff....LT FLUID AND 424 from MOBIL ....so that oil is HYDRAULIC. Same thing my old PRAIRIE 650 rear diff/oil brake bath, suggest MOBIL 424 or Kawasaki TDH.

I was just thinking what is the difference between the ADC oil and the LT FLUID ???

Old 12-10-2008, 01:54 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

From my aftermarket manual for the older hub Hilliard's they say I can use ATF Type F in the hubs. I,m sure there are equivalents for the ADC set ups out there but Polaris sure will not tell you what they really use because they do not want you to buy from elsewhere.

Think about it ,Polaris does not make any fluids of any kind, they just chose from existing fluids all ready on the market and use whats best. There is NO chemistry team at Polaris making up some special "one of a kind fluid" just for a recreational toy. Its just a matter of finding there supplier and what they pour into a Pure Polaris bottle.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:14 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TLC

From my aftermarket manual for the older hub Hilliard's they say I can use ATF Type F in the hubs. I,m sure there are equivalents for the ADC set ups out there but Polaris sure will not tell you what they really use because they do not want you to buy from elsewhere.

Think about it ,Polaris does not make any fluids of any kind, they just chose from existing fluids all ready on the market and use whats best. There is NO chemistry team at Polaris making up some special "one of a kind fluid" just for a recreational toy. Its just a matter of finding there supplier and what they pour into a Pure Polaris bottle.</end quote></div>

Exactly!
Polaris,nor anyone else IMO is formulating a one of a kind fluid for the ADC,or any other component on a Polaris ATV. If they were it would be even more expensive than it is. Some may point out the 2w-50 as proof otherwise,but I would bet..either it has a usage in something else,or they are allowed a varyance or range,for example oil called 10w-30 could actually be 8w-28 to 12w-32 or oil called 2w-50 could be 0w-50 to 4w-whaterver so they can call it 2w-50 and put the same stuff in that bottle as they do in a 0w-50 bottle. That or manipulating the weight is an easy process.
Which reminds me,I have been meaning to look and see if the 2w-50 is cetified.

JMO

Sorry..not much help on ADC fluid,but I agree,there is vey likely a substitute fluid out there...just have to research and track it down.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:00 PM
Trailblazer

Let's search from another angle.....who make the ADC unit of this diff...POLARIS or HILLIARD ???

Old 12-10-2008, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider

Hilliard..the ADC(not the diff)fluid is no doubt hydraulic in nature..
The ADC uses a "hydraulic" pump that is powered by a magnetically activated cam on the pinion shaft. The ADC operates much like and automatic brake system. Hyd pump,pistons and clamping discs/clutchs.