Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Bayou 220 Clutch problem (I think)

Old 12-08-2008, 10:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bayou 220 Clutch problem (I think)

I just bought a very well used bayou 220, I finished replacing the brakes and when I took it for a ride it jumped when put in gear. When I say jump the shifter does not grind but it simply goes into gear and pulls the front tires up. The idle may be slightly high, nothing crazy enough to cause the jump. The other issue I have noticed is the quad stalls when you come to a stop. Clearly this makes me think there is a clutch issue since it is stalling when I come to a stop. I already know the adjustment is under the black cover with the two screws but I am afraid to try to adjust it since it is not slipping. Does anyone have any advice? I changed the oil and filter, the old oil was ok (no metal or anything). I used conventional oil. Could the clutch plates be stuck? I believe the machine sat for some time before I bought it. I am capable of pulling the side cover and inspecting the clutch but I would like to avoid it if not necessary. Thank you

Old 12-09-2008, 08:22 AM
Range Rover

adjust the idle down.. it's not hard...

jumped.. well, it has a centrifical primary clutch/springloaded secondary, and if you goosed it, then it could lift the front, but i doubt it.. NOT likely to be the clutch, ...

here, try this, as you says it comes to a stop and dies...

fire it up, let it idle for 5 mins...

sit on it, lean forward, pop it into first, and then pull the brakes down... does it idle then, rather than dies?

I am sorting out my arctic cat, that dies if you dog it through 4th or 5th, and then lock it down ... but if you just ride it, or down shifit, it runs great...

good news... if you have an impact wrench, replacing the clutch disks and steels is EASY.. just order a gasket -- see my post on the lakota clutch...

you MUST get the dots aligned.. and if you don't know what that means, buy a shop manual..

Old 12-09-2008, 01:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Even when warm and with a lower idle it still stalls when I come to a stop. I feel as though the clutch is not working, it allows the quad to go into gear and thats it. I never had a bayou 220 before but I have ridden an old kawasaki 110, so I understand what it should feel like and this quad jumps when put in gear even with the lower idle and it continues to move. Then it stalls when I come to a stop. You mention replacing the clutch, but it doesn't slip, therefore I don't believe it is bad, but I do think the issue is related to it.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok... so tonight I adjusted the clutch as per the directions posted in this forum at least 100 times, I went all the way in, then out then 1/4 turn and locked it. It helped, then I adjusted it again same procedure. Now the quad doesn't jump, insted when I put it in first gear it does not move until I let the shifter back down, then the quad moves... The slightly off idle may cause this, but the issue is the quad still stalls when I stop. My question is does anyone know which way loosens the clutch? I want to move the adjuster in the direction that loosens the clutch to see if that has an effect.
Thanks,
Greg

Old 01-23-2009, 03:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

sound to me like the centrifical clutch isn't disengaging not the primary clutch that is adjustable, probly a bad spring.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

You can't use regular automotive oils in 220's as they don't have the required friction modifiers needed by the wet clutch system. Although I don't think it is the cause of your problem.

I agree with the guy above me. You will have to take off the clutch cover, then inspect the first clutch. It is similar to what a chainsaw has.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Log_dogg2007 is correct,
Sounds like Your Centrifugal clutch isn't dis-engageing, unfortuneatly that requires some time and effort to dig into., Buy a service manual BEFORE you tear it apart!

The Oil thing is a whole 'nother topic, we wont go there!

Old 02-16-2009, 03:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

fixing the centrifical clutch is actually fairly simple other than a standard tool set a impact is all u need, pull the side cover, loosen the nut on the centrifical clutch and it slides right off, takes about 30mins of ur time