Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Oil Dipstick question on Rubicon??

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 12:16 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Dipstick question on Rubicon??

I have an 03 Foreman Rubicon and 03 factory manual... I was changing the oil in it and when i looked in the manual to see where the oil level was suppose to be and when i pulled the dipstick out of my ATV it was totally different looking... The level marks were way up at the top of the dipstick but the dipstick in the manual has the level marks were at the bottom... So heres my problem do i have a different dipstick our is the illustration in the manual just an example of how to measure the oil level... PLEASE HELP ME

Old 12-02-2008, 12:55 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Welcome to the forum.

The Rubicon dipstick has a kind of larger diameter section in the middle. That denotes the upper and lower oil level.

Before you start it, use the dipstick w/o screwing it in. If the oil is on the dipstick, OK to start.

Then let it idle for 5 minutes, or 10 if it is colder than 50f. Stop the engine and let it sit 2 minutes. Check the dipstick again w/o screwing it in, and the oil level should be on that larger section in the middle.

It is a dry sump engine that holds a lot of oil, so you need to let the thing idle like that to get an accurate reading. 5.2 quarts with filter change. 5.8 quarts with disassembly.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks so much for the reply... but heres the thing i know how to read to dipstick very well... the problem im having how ever is the dipstick is the same diameter all the way up till about 2 in from the top thats where the dipstick goes flat for the remaining length of the stick which is about another 2in.. but when you look in the manual it says the measuring marks are in the middle... WELL MINES NOT LIKE THAT>>> the only change in diamater it way up at the top where i said earlier.... and by the way my dipstick is about 12in long, is that length its suppose to be... please help me

Old 12-03-2008, 06:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 12-03-2008, 10:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thanks Honda Mechanic. I didn't have a way to post part of the manual...

Old 12-03-2008, 08:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok guys you are not listining..... my problem is i think i have the WRONG dipstick in my atv!! I know how to check the oil level thats not the problem... i make the dipstick i have read full or in the center on the flat area which by the way is way up at the stop of the stick its going to take 7 quarts of oil to get it there.... so that means something is wrong somewhere!! Can anyone just send me a pic of an 03 honda foreman rubicon oil dipstick... that will solve the problem righ there!!!!

Old 12-03-2008, 11:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The thing Honda Mechanic posted has a photo of the dipstick.

Does yours not look like that?

Old 12-04-2008, 01:03 AM
Range Rover

I think the problem is in the factory manual the dipstick is shown shorter only for illustration purposes that's why those squiggly lines are shown on the lower third of the picture to indicate it has been graphically shortened. Tha actual dipstick is about a foot long and the upper level mark and lower level mark are in the top 2 inches of the dipstick. Also the manual indicates a total capacity of 5.2 quarts but in my experience it gets closer to 6 quarts.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yeah, the photo Honda Mechanic posted shows part of the dipstick still in the hole...

Old 12-04-2008, 08:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick Reply: Oil Dipstick question on Rubicon??