Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Why do Polaris Predators sell for so cheap???

Old 11-27-2008, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do Polaris Predators sell for so cheap???

im always seeing polaris predators selling for so cheap, some like 2000 or even like buy it now for 1700 and it just makes no sense to me, these bikes are a fairly new bike, there not old in any way and ive considered trying to buy one but it makes me wonder why there so cheap, there cheaper than even raptors banshees and are about the same as 400ex's. are these bikes hard to maintain or do they not last long or what? it has to be something cuz i know these bikes are supposed to be fast and everything, i know they have a weird steering setup that wears fast and an oddball airbox but whats the deal? thanks. happy turkey day!

Old 11-27-2008, 04:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2003 was the first year for polaris to truly get into the sport atv market, breaking away from the scrambler. The 03's and 04's didn't have reverse and the transmissions were hard to shift. However, I think they put out more horsepower than the newer ones? That said, they have always been a solid, fast, well built sport quad. However, they are not nearly as popular as the yamaha's, honda's, suzuki's, etc. They just haven't been in the sport quad market as long and I think people are fearful. They haven't been rated number one in any magazine that i can think of so people haven't been running out to buy one. For quite some time it was very hard to find aftermarket parts. When I built my 05 preddy I had to fabricate most everything and cross parts with other atv mfr's to make things work. Now, there are many parts available. They have always been the best bang for the buck, imo. Stock, they come with douglas aluminum wheels, maxxis razr tires, steel braided break lines, fox shocks and piggy back reservoirs on some models, lifetime axle, etc. All for like $5k! Maybe the low price scared people! LOL! It is probly the reason the resale is low, too? I ride with a lot of friends who ride other brands, and I have owned many other brands. They all bag on the preddy until they ride it or I smoke them, then they quit! They just don't know anything about them so they think they are junk. I think anyone that owns one will tell you different.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

yea i knew it had to be something, because they seem like a solid quad but i just didnt understand the low pricing, im not complaining but it just makes you unsecure and wonder, well when i sell my warrior and if i run across a good deal on mine i might get one, its kinda cool that nobody gets them, cuz me personally i like to have things other people dont, and having a preddy would be like that, ive only seen one person that had one where i ride in the summer/spring. but yea ill add the preddy to the possible list of atv's/dirtbikes i might buy.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, it is worth consideration. Another one that seems to have a low resale value is the suzuki z400. Definitely one of the best all around atv's, great on the trails, good power stock and with mods can produce some intense power. But, for some reason or another, they seem to have a low resale value, but are another solid atv. Another one for you to consider!

Old 11-28-2008, 03:24 PM
Trailblazer

One of the other reasons you will see a cheap price is that Polaris no longer makes this one. They have the Outlaw now with the KTM motor.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: teamsos

One of the other reasons you will see a cheap price is that Polaris no longer makes this one. They have the Outlaw now with the KTM motor.</end quote></div>

Actually, they still "make" it, just under the outlaw name. I guess it's how you look at it. They absorbed it under the outlaw with a straight axle option, which I am glad to see. The KTM 525 motor is a huge improvement. This, I'm sure, was a wise decision by polaris. Why build two competing atv's when you can build one good, solid platform with the options they offer? But, I don't think it has anything to do with the pricing, especially since the outlaw is much more expensive than the predator ever was.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

In my area, there really isn't much of a sport quad market. Most opt for 4X4.

With all the trail closings, there isn't many places to ride either.

I think the sport quad's re-sale value also takes a beating because technology changes so fast- lighter and faster and better components.

Just look at how little a used sport bike (crotch-rocket) is worth! The new ones have better ergos,frames,brakes,slipper clutches, steering, engines, ect.

Old 11-29-2008, 02:42 PM
Pro Rider

Good point! I feel for you and the lack of riding areas. Hearing that makes me feel pretty darn lucky that I have probly a million trails to ride right outside my back door. I can't say one dominates the other, it is a great place to ride both utes and sports. Thats why I have both [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-29-2008, 03:53 PM
Pro Rider

I love my '04 Predator 500. But, it is not supported by the after market like the Japanese quads.

The Predator is fast, comes with many items that are additional cost on the Japanese quads (like Fox Racing shocks, etc).

For me, it is a great machine, but I just purchased (yesterday, Nov 28th, a new Suzuki King Quad 400 automatic)--because it fits my needs better. I still have my Predator, but he KQ is going to get a lot more use.

Old 11-29-2008, 04:08 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Unlike Utility ATVs which you can find in mint condition that some old guy used to putt around the yard or to get to a deer stand and back.

A person who buys a sport ATVs bought it for one reason only to go fast and wild not putt around the yard. Even if the Sport ATV has only 100hrs on it you can bet it was a wild ride and all 4 wheels left the ground more than a few times in those 100 Hrs. Hence the low resale ,like a used motocross bike.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why do Polaris Predators sell for so cheap???