Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha Bruin with brake light that stays on.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha Bruin with brake light that stays on.

I just purchased a used (2004) Yamaha Bruin 350cc 4x2. It seems to be in really good shape.
I noticed that the tail light lens was buckled in and cracked as though it had been overheated, and when I took it apart, I found that the bulb was also broken.
I got an #1157 double filiment bulb and tried it. It appeared that both filaments lit when I turned the light switch on.
I checked the brake switch and ended up unhooking it. (as it is supposed to turn the brake lite on- not off). Both filaments still stayed on.
I am waiting for an electrical diagram.
Any ideas????

Old 10-22-2008, 07:54 PM
Pro Rider

Well I know that with my Kodiak there is a switch down by the foot pedal that needs to be adjusted. My brake light would not come on at all. Yours might be adjusted too far the other way causing it to stay on all the time. Since both the foot and both hand brakes can turn on the brake light, I would check all of them.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Traildad, Thanks for the reply. Yes, I checked that switch. I ever unpluged it thinking that it might break the circuit, but it still stayed lit. The break light has to be getting power from a source that doesn't go through the switch.
Thanks again, mouldy

Old 10-23-2008, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

Maybe I am misunderstanding you then. You say you checked "that" switch. The power can get to the bulb from at least two different switches I am guessing. My Kodiak diagram shows the front and rear switch supplying power to the bulb. I am not sure if the foot brake is a separate system or part of the rear handbrake system. Good Luck.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks again. I will look for another switch. That could sure be the problem. I am waiting for a repair manual for my Bruin. I hope it will have a wiring diagram.
I don't know where else to get a diagram. I don't have a Yamaha dealer in very close to me.
mouldy

Old 10-24-2008, 02:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

check the switchs on the handle bar brake levers and check the head light switch and see if it is in if it is then you brake light will stay on and if the reat brake lever is not adjusted right it will also make it stay on hopes this helps

Old 10-24-2008, 02:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

check the switchs on the handle bar brake levers and check the head light switch and see if it is in if it is then you brake light will stay on and if the rear brake lever is not adjusted right it will also make it stay on hopes this helps

Old 10-27-2008, 06:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks josephh. I will check your tips. I have been gone for a few days and plan to get back to it tomorrow.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider

I remember a small plastic lever that would get pushed in when you applied the brake (light on) on the handlebar. I accidentally broke mine before and had to zip tie it in place so the brake light would only come on when it was supposed to.

The part I'm rambling about is #9..check that out.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Great!! Thank you very much. I haven't been able to get back to it for over a week but this could sure be the problem. I plan to work on it on Sat. and will post results if I can get it figured out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Yamaha Bruin with brake light that stays on.