Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher Carb adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 05:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rancher Carb adjustment

I just got a 2003 rancher. It ran fine when I bought it. But when I got it home, somewhere along the first ride, I got a crack in a fuel line and it started running bad.
So before I discovered the fuel line problem, I got the carb and idle way out of adjustment.
Can anyone tell me how to adjust this back?
Thanks.

p.s. I'm new to the forum, so if there is a section here that explains this, that I'm missing, please direct me to it.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:06 PM
Pro Rider

You can always do a topic search on carberator adjustment. If you have already replaced the fuel hose then the rest is just fine tuneing. how much did you mess with on the carb? just the idol or more of the internals? if its just the idol, back out the idol mix skrew at the bottom of the carb until its idoling good, not rough.

p.s. did you happen to mess with the pilot at all?

Old 10-26-2008, 08:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

I messed with it alot. That's why I needed to know how to adjust a carb from start to finish. Because both idol and and the other adjustment is out.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

o man! well if its stock i think the pilot jet is set at around 2 5/8 turns out, or atleast it is on a foreman. rancher should be close to that. try starting their with the pilot and adjust your idol as needed until you have idol issue. if your rancher wont idol right with that setting on the pilot jet then adjust your pilot in/out 1/2 turn at a time. sometimes it can be tricky so don't get frustrated if you dont get it on the first try. when you get the pilot jet set correctly it will stay at a good steady idol, and wont be rough. if its a rough and high idol your pilot jet needs to be moved out more. hope this helps you out, i know this stuff can be tricky

Old 10-26-2008, 09:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

First of all, thanks a bunch for replying.
I think I got lucky. I got to messing with it before you posted the last message. I got it running and it actually idols. So now, its the fine tuning. Which has to be done for sure. I couldn't have gotten that lucky.
Now, it starts and runs. Except, at high speeds, it sounds like it floods itself. So, would that mean that I turn the **** under the carb, on the left (passenger) side "clock wise"?

Old 10-27-2008, 01:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Idle adjustment for the fuel air mixture screw should be set as follows. Turn the fuel air mixture screw in (clockwise) until the engine begins to stammer. Turn it out (counter clockwise) counting the turns until it passes the sweet spot and the engine begins to stammer again. Turn it back in half the amount of turns counted.
As far as high speed adjustment... these carbs are not adjustable for high speed range from the outside. There are 2 black ***** on the carb. The one on the bottom which has finger grip notches in it is your idle adjustment screw. Another black **** on the side of the carb is a primer for starting in cold weather. When depressed it pumps a shot of fuel into the carb. It has no effect when turned.

----- Gimpster -----

Old 10-27-2008, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

thanks for getting in on this one Gimpster, i didn't know qiute how to put it. But thats why the pros are here

Old 07-23-2016, 06:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think i captured the mixture screw, and the throttle ****. Where does the vacuum/vent? orifice connect to? Adjoining picture shows another vacuum/vent hose not connected to anything.

Where does the hose that comes out on right side. going up and ending on left side of pic.