Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Help Rincon Transmission Slipping

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 09:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Rincon Transmission Slipping

I have an 2003 rincon 650. I had 10w 40 Honda oil in it at first.
Transmission started slipping Honda mechanic said to change oil .
So i changed the oil and put in 10w 30 Honda oil and that stopped it from slipping until i used it and got it real hot. then it started slipping again.Is there a better oil that want burn so quick? What kind of oil does everyone else use?

Old 10-20-2008, 11:50 PM
Trailblazer

I run 10w40 all the time in my Rubicon. I run either Valvoline ATV oil or just regular engine oil.... I know I'll prob get heck from a bunch of ppl for not using Honda oil, but I have yet to have any problems with mine...... and my uncle has 16000 miles on his Rubicon and only uses regular 10w40 castrol in his....

Old 10-21-2008, 02:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Does it slip mainly in high gear at high throttle, when hot?

I wonder if you might have the blown O ring problem that early Rincons are known to have...

There is a procedure for checking oil pressure at 3 different ports. Some folks on Rinconrider fabricated a fitting for an oil pressure gauge, but since it is something the average person would only use once, it might be better to have the dealership run a pressure test.

First, though, verify the oil level is correct. To get an accurate reading the machine needs to sit at idle for about 4-5 minutes, then sit for another 2-3. Oil level needs to be at the top of the range, or just slightly overfull...

Old 10-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Jeff may be onto something here. The main valve body oil passage runs through the front engine cover. At times during cover install or what have you, an oring is most likely leaking where the front engine cover mates to the engines oil pump. I have had to replace these o-rings on 07 Rincons also

----- Gimpster -----

Old 07-07-2017, 11:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default how do i check oil pressure on a 2008 honda rincon? k

Mine seems like its in a higher gear than it is. I know there geared high but it has gotten way worse.doesnt happen all the time though. Seems like its more when its warm.

I wonder if you might have the blown O ring problem that early Rincons are known to have...

There is a procedure for checking oil pressure at 3 different ports. Some folks on Rinconrider fabricated a fitting for an oil pressure gauge, but since it is something the average person would only use once, it might be better to have the dealership run a pressure test.

First, though, verify the oil level is correct. To get an accurate reading the machine needs to sit at idle for about 4-5 minutes, then sit for another 2-3. Oil level needs to be at the top of the range, or just slightly overfull...[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by Gimpster
I think Jeff may be onto something here. The main valve body oil passage runs through the front engine cover. At times during cover install or what have you, an oring is most likely leaking where the front engine cover mates to the engines oil pump. I have had to replace these o-rings on 07 Rincons also

----- Gimpster -----