Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Rear CV removal,500 Sportsman

Old 10-06-2008, 09:40 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear CV removal,500 Sportsman

old polaris tech,
You have a lot a great tips here, Thanks.
I needed to change a rear CV boot because of a small tear. Hub came off nicely,
Lifted up the control arm and got the spline out of the carrier. CV axle popped right out. Cut the bands and pulled the axle right out, no problem.
I'm having a hard time manipulating the clip that holds the axle to the short shaft. I've tried to open the clip with a screw driver and tap the CV joint off but I don't think i'm getting it out of the ring groove enough.
Can you give me a few tips.
The Youtube videos where helpful but before I beat on the CV joint any more I think I should get some advice.

Thanks in advance.
Deerkiller

Old 10-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

BEST sometimes to have some helping hands! I use a pair of flat circlip pliers that I still had to grind down small enough to open circlip! If someone can open circlip while you rap on cv,SHOULD come off! Good luck

Old 10-07-2008, 09:28 AM
Pro Rider

OPT,
Right on the money,
A medium sized flat screw driver wasn't quite enough. I did get a second set of hands and did exactly how you described with the pliers. 30 seconds and off it popped.
I would recommend to almost anyone to at least try changing there own CV boots. If you get stuck you can still take it to the shop.
One thing that helped getting the inner joint back into the machine was to remove the link that connects the upper A arm to the sway bar,(torsion bar) and align the entire shaft assembly in a straight line. I then tapped it with a heavy soft faced mallet.
Once again with past threads and some helpful advice I avoided taking my quad to the shop.
You'll want to take a close look for cracks in the CV boots as the nasty weather, at least for us yankees,will be hear soon.
OPT, can't say enough, thanks for the advice.
Deerkiller

Old 10-07-2008, 02:13 PM
Trailblazer

Hey I'm doing the same thing on my 2002 polaris sportsman.I have everything right up to getting the cv joint out of the rear end.I'm a little confused on how to get it free there is the tore upper boot which needs replacing .I should remove the upper boot and then there is a clip under the boot that holds the cv joint in the rear end of the bike am I right.I went out and baught a tool to put the clips on the boot.I've also order a manual which will help but I have to wait a week or so for it so I started it myself so if you could offer up some info I'm going to have another crack at it tomorow.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Pro Rider

I put a wide stubby flat screw driver between the cylindrical shaped end of the shaft(about 3" dia.)and the rear end case and tapped on the end of the screw driver. Then turn the shaft a half turn then try it again.Mine came out easier then it went back in. Tugging on the shaft won't do much good as the upper CV joint will slide on itself.
If you are fighting the A-arm try removing the link and lift the arm up out of the way. It makes installing the shaft later a little easier.
It's held in with a clip, It will come. I buttered it up with neverseize for the next time.
Deerkiller

Old 10-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider

For me, I'd pull everything out like I just described. It will be a lot easier to clean the old grease out and to reinstall the new boot. The bands are a pain in the ***.
I held everything in a vice holding the middle of the shaft.
Deerkiller

Old 10-13-2008, 03:03 PM
Trailblazer

Hey I got back at trying to get the rear cv joint out . The 3'' cylindrical shaped end of the shaft is now about an 1/8 of an inch away from the rear end.I cannot rotate the shaft .I have the book but it just says it should slide out I am a little frustrated here.I can see a ring on the shaft.I'm wondering does the cv joint have to rotate to get the cv joint out and does the bike have be in neutral to get the cv joint out?

Old 10-13-2008, 03:33 PM
Pro Rider

Nope, put the back of the bike up on a jack and rotate the wheel 180 degrees. you are almost there. It'll come . get something thin like a tire iron and lever on it.
Deerkiller

Old 10-13-2008, 03:38 PM
Trailblazer

I'll keep at it just prying against the the 3'' cylindrical shaped end of the shaft and the rear end sounds good when you say I'm almost there thanks for the quick reply.I have to go out for a bit but I'm going to keep at when I get back.Thanks again

Old 10-13-2008, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider

With the wheels off the ground you should be able to rotate them.
Just try prying in a couple different spots. Take it easy though. If you crack the rear end you are all done.
You are almost there/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear CV removal,500 Sportsman