Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Trail usage durng hunting season

Old 09-22-2008, 11:52 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trail usage durng hunting season

Are there and restrictions on trail usage during hunting season in michigan?

Old 09-22-2008, 12:24 PM
Trailblazer

Here in Oregon most are open during deer season but then all are closed starting 3 days before elk season until after elk season is over.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:53 PM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.

I would hope so, but it depends on what you mean by "trail." I always set up my deer stand well off the specified ATV trail, but I've had season openers spoiled by ATV'ers. I get out to my stand well before daylight and sit for several hours, only to have an ATV chug down a nearby logging trail, or even right down the deer trail that I'm watching. That's a bit inconsiderate to other hunters, not to mention illegal, and you don't see many deer with that going on.

A friend of mine went elk hunting in Colorado. One of the guys in his party got a nice bull the first morning, then spent the next few days riding around the area on his ATV. No one else even saw an elk, and the ATV'er was never invited on another hunt.

I've read that Minnesota accommodates ATV'ers by allowing them into the woods before and after shooting hours. That would be good manners even where not required by law.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:06 PM
Trailblazer

Thats what i figured. I dont want some pissed of drunk hunter giving me any warning shots. The trail i ride is about ten foot wide or so, its and old grate. theres really no information here in town that i can find for rules. Everwhere i go i get the run round so thanks for the comments.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even if there is no hard and fast rule, common courtesy should rule here. Recreational ATVers and hunters use the same trails - most of the year is not hunting season. Even if your area allows recreational riding during hunts, it's a better idea to delay the start of your ride until late morning at the earliest. This gives the hunters their prime time (most that I see are heading back to the truck by 10 am) and still gives you riding time. A small price to pay to keep from ruining a hunters rare chance for a successful hunt.

Jaybee

Old 09-23-2008, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider

I believe it is legal to ride just before sun up then again during midday while most hunters are going to eat their lunches then again after sun down. I believe it states the rules for public riding in the 2008-09 hunting guide. If you ride around during hours your not spose to be riding or even if i am wrong about the times. You might get some hunter to call DNR on your for hunter harassment if you are unknowingly riding back and forth past him. So if you plan on riding i would check with DNR about legal riding hours during the hunting season and would make sure that it is legal to ride down that road in your county since most counties have had their ORV ordinaces repealled when granholm signed the new ORV laws into effect which have to be adopted by each county.

Just what I would do if i was trying to do some public land riding during hunting season.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:04 AM
Pro Rider

Many of the trails around here close from 10/15 until season is past.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

Here is the CORRECT answer for Michigan.

ORV operation is PROHIBITED,

*In public hunting areas during the Novemeber firearm deer season, between the hrs of 7am and 11am AND from 2pm and 5pm, EXCEPT for,

Going to or from a residence or hunting camp that is inaccessible by a conventional vehicle [subject to State land regulations]

On private property, with the landowners permission

Passenger vehicles while being operated on roads capable of sustaining automobile traffic

OR,

STATEWIDE?
ORV use on designated trails is limitied to vehicles 50 inches or less in width.. Off-trail or off-route operation outside of a designated ORV area is prohibited EXCEPT for licensed hunters to remove deer, bear, or elk at speeds of 5mph or less.

Persons who have been issued either a Sec of State handicap license or placard are exempt from the quite hours of operation during the Novemeber firearm hunting season, IF they are using their ORV in conjuntion with hunting or fishing.

So, what does all this really mean? It means that essentially, you may load your ATV into the bed of your truck, drive down a forest trail [not posted as closed] and park it so as NOT to block the roadway/trailway. WALK back to your blind, and shoot Bambi. Once you have LEGALLY tagged your dear, bear or elk, you can walk from your hunting spot or blind, back to your truck, unload your ATV, and use it LEGALLY at anytime during legal hunting hours at speeds of under 5mph, to go RETREIVE your kill.

National Forest rules may differ, check with the local forest manager first.

Any further questions, call my office.

Bill Gilbert
DIRECTOR-Mich ORV Safety Assoc [ M.O.R.A ]
810-249-0398
www.michatv.com

Old 09-25-2008, 02:42 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Deeplaker60

I would hope so, but it depends on what you mean by "trail." I always set up my deer stand well off the specified ATV trail, but I've had season openers spoiled by ATV'ers. I get out to my stand well before daylight and sit for several hours, only to have an ATV chug down a nearby logging trail, or even right down the deer trail that I'm watching. That's a bit inconsiderate to other hunters, not to mention illegal, and you don't see many deer with that going on.

A friend of mine went elk hunting in Colorado. One of the guys in his party got a nice bull the first morning, then spent the next few days riding around the area on his ATV. No one else even saw an elk, and the ATV'er was never invited on another hunt.

I've read that Minnesota accommodates ATV'ers by allowing them into the woods before and after shooting hours. That would be good manners even where not required by law.</end quote></div>

In Mn you can ride prior to and after day light as well as something like from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm.

As far as ATV'rs ruining a deer hunt that can go either way. Most deer will often not pay any attention to a moving vehicle, and the atv could possible chase up a deer that you may never have otherwise have seen. I've rode down trails that 30 minutes later had deer tracks over my tire tracks, so just the presents of an atv will not chase deer out of the country. If your area allows feeding and it is done with an atv it could even be seen as ringing the dinner bell.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:43 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: dooleypfeiffer

Thats what i figured. I dont want some pissed of drunk hunter giving me any warning shots. The trail i ride is about ten foot wide or so, its and old grate. theres really no information here in town that i can find for rules. Everwhere i go i get the run round so thanks for the comments.</end quote></div>

You are on the internet; check you state's hunting regs yourself so you KNOW what the regs are; not what some other guy SAYS they are.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trail usage durng hunting season