Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Can you build your own UTV?

Old 09-23-2008, 04:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you build your own UTV?

If you can get a frame welded up, surely you can get the rest bolted onto the frame.

But what about a body kit to make it look really cool?

What would stop someone from building their own?

Any ideas or forums to check out about building your own UTV?

i would want to do this because A) price and B) mods to suit my needs.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:27 PM
Trailblazer

HUGE motor. and make it a two stroker.
like a cr500 motor.

hahaha

Old 09-23-2008, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider

Me and my buddy made one for a 4h project
Traxman
Specs: 351 cc. motor
custom coil over shocks, a arms, steering
the hood is off of an International straight truck, that we took 30" out of the center and bondoed it back together

I'll post more pics when I have time

Old 09-24-2008, 10:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

So needless to say it is possible.

What about a body kit in order to skin the frame and make it look badass like a mini hummer or a RZR?

Ideally I would prefer the RZR, but think I can build one with a bit more clearance and a few more mods and spend probably half with more upgrades.

Does anyone know where I can find complete build specs for a RZR?

or a website taht sells every single piece and part needed to build your own?

I need a complete walk-thru of what will be needed and the dimensions preferred.

Thanks guys.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

sweet jesus, people that design things are called engineers for a reason.. you go to school for 4 years or however long it may take you, work in the industry for a while to gain experience and try to pass your PE exam to become a professional... you could try to figure things in you garage however there are things called formula's that calculate load, stress levels, material sizes, weld strength etc...
large companies spend millions on research and development, have a plan that on paper works, build a prototype and tweak the design from there... you get the picture

Old 09-24-2008, 02:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

well you can build dune buggys and atvs diy, so what is so different about building one of these?

Why couldnt you have a company that builds dune buggy frames just scale a frame down to a "trail size" spec?

It would only be shaving a few inches off overall, but make a huge difference obviously.

On top of that, buy an engine, or have a brand new one built from the ground up - that shouldnt be hard.

Here let me also first say this, I, myself, have no intention of building any of this, perhaps tightening down a few bolts and screws, but I will sub-contract this out to the right people, have them do their part and put all of that together.

As long as everyone follows their plans, all should be good.

By the way, I should also mention, I have a friend who is an engineer with boeing that works on helicoptors and actually had to build a similar type vechile for his final class project for graduation.

So I'm sure he would be more than willing to review any plans i put together, but I want to do all of the leg work before asking him for help to double check everything.

But I'm just trying to see if its possible to get body kits and perhaps where to find the exact specs for a RZR type frame.

I think its basically the perfect size, I just feel I can have a similar one built for 1/3 of the cost, mod it a bit more for personal things, perhaps just make it 2-3" right from the get go so i dont require a lift kit etc etc.

I'll use all exact specs as them, frame dimensions, engine size etc. Just small mods.

I can always upgrade suspension and tires as I find fit.

So where would I be able to find out exactly what the specs on their frame etc is and see an exploded view?

Old 09-24-2008, 03:15 PM
Pro Rider

plans and specifications are owned by polaris.. good luck finding anything.. if that was the case why wouldent everyone build one.. people do not invest millions in creating products just to give it away. if you had a clue you would not have asked this question to begin with
your idea is flawed move on

Old 09-24-2008, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider

How about finding a insurance/salvage UTV. That way all the leg work is done, just need to repair/mod to your liking. If you think building one from scratch is going to be cheaper than buying new...I think you'll find it will be more expensive if your doing it right.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:58 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Wenty
If you think building one from scratch is going to be cheaper than buying new...I think you'll find it will be more expensive if your doing it right.</end quote></div>

I was thinking about this the other day. I actually put together a list and priced off the rack OEM parts to build a 2007 Sportsman 500 EFI. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I work for the Federal Government, so I have plenty of time to conduct experiments like this. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I painstakingly added up every nut, bolt, hose and fitting. Are you ready!! The price was a whopping

$26,401.60

What a bargin!

Old 09-24-2008, 05:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: GunnSmoke

plans and specifications are owned by polaris.. good luck finding anything.. if that was the case why wouldent everyone build one.. people do not invest millions in creating products just to give it away. if you had a clue you would not have asked this question to begin with

your idea is flawed move on</end quote></div>

Your thinking is flawed.

How are people able to build dune buggys so easy, but all of a sudden when it comes to a UTV its impossible?

Clear your head man.

Now according to OIown12... it seems very very costly and I dont know why...

Sure they buy in bulk and get a much cheaper price on parts... but come on... can it honestly be double to triple the price?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can you build your own UTV?