Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Walmart sealed batteries

Old 08-13-2008, 11:04 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Walmart sealed batteries

Wondering if anyone has used the Walmart sealed batteries. I need a new battery for my 03 Trailboss and the price seems reasonable at $75.00. I did have a sealed Sears Die Hard in it and it really does not die hard but it did die...........lasted a little over a year.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:06 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Bought one for my Trail Boss and one for the wife's Trail Blazer. Never had any issues with them at all.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:23 AM
Range Rover

i got one from the polaris dealer for $60

Old 08-13-2008, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can get a nice interstate cycletron for
40-60 depending on your source.

Mine was used for a year, sat for a year, and works like a champ now that its back in the scrambler

Old 08-13-2008, 12:30 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I bought the cheapest battery with the over flow tube, Walmart "Everstart" for my Snowmachine for $35 and it has worked great all last winter and it fired the sled right up after sittin for 4 months the other day.

ATVs with decompression can get by on cheaper batteries because they turn over easy and require less "Cranking Amps" Like 200A.

Big bores with no decompression such as the 660 Grizzly and 680 Rincon require a more expensive 250-300 CA (Cranking Amps) battery. A cheap 200 Ca or less battery will work but not for nearly as long or as good in cold conditions.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:59 PM
Pro Rider

I use the Everstart battery too. I just bought some more tubing for about 3 bucks from tracter supply and routed the vent tube up with the rest of the vent tubes. Easy and cheaper.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have not had good luck with WalMart batteries.

I also hate sealed batteries and have had a few work poorly, only to PEEL back the hidden filler openings to find they were low on acid. A refill, and they were good to go. Seems that a lot of the "sealed" batteries are just regular ones with the fillers covered and inaccessible. They still lose juice, unlike a true sealed battery, like the Optimas, which I run in my diesel. (Yellow tops, AWESOME, survive a nuclear attack)

What DOES work really well is the BatteryTender device. It prevents sulfation (they say) and keeps the battery in good shape. Since I started using it I have had no battery failures. There is a Jr. model for less than $30 that works well with batteries that have a charge. This is a battery maintainer that will only do VERY slow charges. it is designed to KEEP the battery up, not as a quick charge. Perfect for long-term storage.

Remember, once a battery drops below a certain voltage, 11.89V, it can become unrecoverable! Best to NOT let them discharge.

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-13.htm

Scroll most of the way down for a chart of voltages.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:52 PM
Pro Rider

I use the Walmart everstart non sealed. $27.00 ,keep the reciept and swap it out every 6 months. I seen to chew up batteries but Walmart is good about taking them back.
I too use the battery Tender Jr. Keeps the battery up in the cold. I plug it in every time i come in from plowing. the winches tear up the battery. I also top up the deep cycle battery on my pop up camper when I get home. Porsche battery too all winter in the garage. I've had it for 3 years or so and for $20.00 it was well worth it. I use it alot.
Deerkiller

Old 08-13-2008, 03:25 PM
Trailblazer

I bought mine at auto zone last year cant remember the name but its a non sealed battery paid around 50$ for it and i use the trail boss year round and have no problems with it what so ever. I used it last deer season here in ohio pretty cold during muzzleloader season and it fired right up.Parked it after season until turkey season mid april and it fired rite up!

Old 08-13-2008, 03:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm having almost the same problem with my '05 Sportsman 700 twin, that sandman2.0 is having. I've gone through 2 Wal-mart batteries & finally broke down & purchused a dealership battery for 116 bucks! The battery light blinks (indicating under/over charge) until you put a newly charged battery in. Then it runs fine for a few hours..... and then the battery light starts blinking again. I've read about an ECM Power Box, a Voltage Regulator, a Stator ...... What gives? Has anybody else encountered this? Recalls? My dealer just wants to charge me to tell me what's wrong with it. Can Anyone Help???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Walmart sealed batteries