Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

04 rancher 350 won't shift into reverse....

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 rancher 350 won't shift into reverse....

I've got issues with my rancher not shifting into reverse. First, it has a brand new battery....Shifts fine up and down but absolutely will not go into reverse. Also blows a fuse when front brake is applied... Does anyone out there have any ideas???? I'm not really close to a honda dealer so I hope to avoid a trip...

Tanks in advance!!!

Old 08-07-2008, 10:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

That happened to my friend. After awhile of no reverse he decided to go tapping around on the 4 wheeler with a hammer and it fixed it so i am not sure what the problem is. Haha i probably wouldn't recommend doing that. O but he didn't have the front brake problem.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

my honda rancher 350 didnt reverse either....if u tap the back brack cables which are on one of the rear wheels with a hammer it might work thats what work s for me at least

Old 08-08-2008, 06:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First adjust the reverse lock cable..

================================================== =========================================

================================================== =========================================
If the bike is an ESP model (electric shift) check the reverse switch on the lower rear of the engine to make sure it is pluged in ..

Old 08-08-2008, 06:57 PM
Trailblazer

hey hondamechanic would it hurt anything to run with the reverse lockout lever engaged all the time to eliminate the reverse button on the rancher

Old 08-08-2008, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider

Not as long as your VERY careful when down shifting .. I have mine tripped during the winter when I use the plow a lot but you have to be careful ...

Old 08-10-2008, 12:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks to all who responded... The cable was unplug and shorting out on the motor. Plugged it back in and everything works great....

Old 08-10-2008, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HondaMechanic

Not as long as your VERY careful when down shifting .. I have mine tripped during the winter when I use the plow a lot but you have to be careful ...</end quote></div>

I run mine tripped al the time also. I can relate a few war stories about hitting reverse while downshifting. Not fun

----- Gimpster -----

Old 10-03-2008, 01:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi Guys,

Need your help. Last ride I ended up scraping a tree and the reverse cable at the handlebar came loose and I need to replace the cable.

The cable did not show up in time to my house and I have a rather long ride planned fo rthis coming Saturday.

I want to run my bike in the tripped mode until my calb ecomes in.

How do you actually trip it? I wen tunder my bike and found the reverse lock out cable and lever and was able to move the lever with a screwdriver but it springs back.

How do you trip it so it stays tripped?

THANKS

Old 10-22-2008, 10:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would like to thank all of you who take the time to read our problems and answer the questions you know. I have never posted to the site nor visited it until today. I have a 2001 Rancher that suddenly would not shift into reverse. I read many, many posts and happened upon this which was perfect. The pictures helped greatly. Once I knew where to look, it was easy to see that the reverse switch on the engine was unplugged. I plugged it in and everything works perfect again.

Thanks again

Tripp

Quick Reply: 04 rancher 350 won't shift into reverse....