Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Ready to start riding....

Old 07-10-2008, 07:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ready to start riding....

Ive convinced my parents to let me purchase an ATV. Im 16 yrs old and this will be my first atv I have a budget of $2000. Ive heard that the polaris trailblazer 250 is an extremely dependable good starting atv. My dad would like the ATV to be a polaris, But im sure I can change his mind. Give me all your opinions.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

what will it be used for? im 15 myself and got the hawkeye as my first atv.
and ure gonna need to get one used, cuz the 90cc polaris atvs are $2500 new, LOL!

Old 07-10-2008, 08:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well actually im 15 too but im turning 16 really soon lol.

Im completely sure the ATV im going to buy will be used the new ones are just to exspensive. I might possibly be able to get my dad to add 500 bucks and make it both of ours but that most likly wont happen. So im prepared to spend 2000.

I looked up atvs in the classifieds and found a few polaris trail blazer 250's for under 2000 but a majority for 2500.

If I did buy one of the Trail blazers that was under $2000 I dont know wether or not it would be worth it to take it to an atv mechanic to have it inspected since its used and a little less then the normal 250 trail blazer though. I mean it must be a good deal cheper for a reason.

Although im open for any suggestions on another type of atv.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

if possible, try to find an atv to buy that you could test drive before purchasing.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider

heck i paid 200.00 bucks for my 99 blazer and all it needed was a top end re-build inwitch i may have 150.00 ..it had no rips or tears anywhere and good tires.. look around the "deals" are out there!

Old 07-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

trail blazer is nasty 250 2 stroke

my first was a 86' suzuki quadsport 230 when i was 13, back in 98
than after i busted the swingarm, i rode a 84 rokon trailbreaker with a 132 CC chrysler 2 stroke
When i was 15, almost 16, I worked an entire summer and bought a 96 scrambler 400 4x4, that was in 2000
Might have been a bit too much ATV for me at the time, but i grew into it...
The trailblazer would have been a killer 1st bike for me,
should be for you too..

Heres what you check on it when you see it in person, make sure you bring someone with you, like your dad

1. One of you grab the rear bar and pick it up a few inches off the ground, the other guy grab a wheel, and see if you can move it
up and down, or left and right, you are looking for play in the rear axle bearings..
Ideally it wont budge a millimeter, but if it budges a little bit, you might have a cheap fix (set of bearings/seals for the axle) on your hand,
if its alot, the bearings might have spun, and dug out the carrier, so it will have to be shimmed, machined, or replaced all togather.

2. sit on the quad, does it sag down more than an 2 or so inches? if so is the spring at the loosest position, if it is, you are ok, if its riding high on teh threads,
you are looking at a replacement shock, ebay... if that checked out, jump off the quad, and grab the bar on the rear, and bush down hard...
it should compress and rebound slowly , youll be able to tell if its good, it might even let out a hiss for you.. if its all spring than the shock is shot

3. SIT on it again, and try to turn the handle bars, push the bars foward and back, and lift up on the bars you are looking for play,
A. if the bars move before the tires do and/or feel loose, theres play, now hop off and look for where the play is... its going to be in one of a few places.
Upper steering post bushing... this is right under the clamp for the bars, Lower bushing, its down where the post ends , this usually gets shot, i replaced mine with a sick billit piece from hpd. Tie rods, what connects your steering to the tires... these arent too cheap to replace, but everyone goes thru them, get all ***** if you have to replace

4. Check chain slap/play too much is a neglect indicator , or that they beat on it, as every other thing is on the list

5. check the brakes, hand and foot, see if wheels can spin on their own if you lift it in the air

6. i think this bike is oil injected, make sure there is oil in the tank, if not, he better have a good reason for it

7. listen to it run, listen for any knocks, in the engine or clutch, make sure its shifts into all gears smoothly

8. ride it around and get a feel for everything, best test there is

Old 07-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

"Although im open for any suggestions on another type of atv."

I had 6 TB 250s over the course of time. They were all bulletproof. Depending on the type of riding, they can be a bit underpowered. There are quite a few mods for them.
I'll probably get slammed for this one but i don't know how you are as an almost 16 year old. If you were my son, I would try and find a nice Scrambler 400. I actually started out my daughters on the 250 when they were 11 and 15 and now they ride the 400.
I don't want to talk you out of the 250 in any way but i think you will be trading up soon.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the TB is a great quad for a newbie or anyone for that matter. My wife loved hers and it went just about everywhere we wanted it too. I was never disappointed with it whatsoever. Keep looking around don't rush into one although I know thats hard to do. You'll find one for a good price. Check Craigslist I find a lot of decent deals on there just be careful of the scams and take someone with you that knows a little about quads. Make sure you get to take a ride or at least have them take you and have them start it up and let it run a while. A friend of mine bought a Predator in Feb. The guy seemed like a good ol farmer trying to sell the daughter's ex's quad he co-signed for. Well he started it up and it sounded great but only let it run a minute and shut it off said he didnt want to disturb the neighbors cause it was late. Well we got it home and the next day it fired up ran about 30 sec. and died. Here the cam chain was worn and kept jumping out of time he had it set so he could fire it up and sound good but shut it off quick. Moral of the story don't trust everyones word, make sure for yourself!!!

Old 07-11-2008, 12:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the help guys...As for the type of riding ill be doing it proably wont be all off road proably alot in my neighbor hood and in this huge field behind my neighborhood that doesnt really have alot of jumps rocks or mud but still has some potential.

Im glad the TrailBlazer looks good because right now it seems as though its the only decent atv I can find for under 2000....lol

by the way im proably going to need a trailer to carry the atv wont I...Unless the TB will fit into the back of and 08 Ford Explorer....which I dont think it will.
How much would a trailer like that generaly cost?

Old 07-11-2008, 12:36 AM
Range Rover

I just bought a nice small aluminum trailer recently that cost a little over 900 bucks. The trailer is great and weighs almost 300lbs which is awesome!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ready to start riding....