Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2008 Grizzly 700 vs Brute Force 650 (strait axle)

Old 06-18-2008, 09:06 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Grizzly 700 vs Brute Force 650 (strait axle)

Hello,

Can someone tell me how the 2008 Grizzly 700 stands up to the Brute Force 650 (strait axle)? I seen several Grizzly's and really like the fit and finish, but I'm more of a strait axle guy beacuse I like to slide the backend around. Can you do that with a Grizzly?

What are the pros and cons to the Grizzly?

Thank you for your information.

Pete

Old 06-18-2008, 11:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

For me there are some plusses to the Grizz that I like over the Kawi like IRS for slow technical trail riding here in CO irs is the only way to go, EFI on later models of 700 thay had this featue and at 10.000ft its a verry nice feature to have,Power Steering this is a 2yo feature now and if you get one that has it you will never go back. To me if you want to go fast and slide around corners buy a sport quad that is what the are designed to do!

Old 06-18-2008, 03:52 PM
Banned

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DODGE57HEMI

For me there are some plusses to the Grizz that I like over the Kawi like IRS for slow technical trail riding here in CO irs is the only way to go, EFI on later models of 700 thay had this featue and at 10.000ft its a verry nice feature to have,Power Steering this is a 2yo feature now and if you get one that has it you will never go back. To me if you want to go fast and slide around corners buy a sport quad that is what the are designed to do!</end quote></div>

I don't want a sport quad, I want a utility/sport quad. Basically I would like the power when I need it. The more I look at the Grizzly, the more I think it will suit my needs, but I also would like to ride one first.

Thanks.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

You might want to take a look at the Honda 700xx probobly not what you are looking for but it is another option. Also take a look at the Can-am Rengade its considiard a sport 4x4!

Old 06-18-2008, 07:16 PM
Pro Rider

Ironbear,
My dad has a Brute Force 650i, I have two Grizzly 700s, and I have had both a Prairie 700 and a Prairie 650 previously, so I am familiar with the two machines you are asking about.

My current Grizzly 700 SE is the all time best handling sport/utility ATV I have ever ridden. It is night and day better at powersliding than a stock Grizzly 700, and even a whole lot better than the solid rear axle Prairie's were. I have made a few changes to it to make it that way though. I changed to 25" Terracross tires on 12x7 ITP wheels that have an inch more offset than the stock wheels. These tires are the all time best powersliding utility ATV tires, and if you want to be able to powerslide I would highly recommend them. I also did some tuning on the clutch, by changing out all eight Grizzly 700 roller weights for eight Grizzly 660 roller weights. They are lighter, and the engine revs faster and accelerates harder coming out of turns. I also installed a Dynatek CDI that improves throttle response, and just generally makes the Grizzly 700 run better. The rev limit is also higher. Finally, ... and this is a biggie, ... I installed Ohlins shocks that lower the Grizzly 700 by about an inch and a half, and dramatically improve both suspension and handling.

Powerslide? NOT a problem. Sixty mph, throw that baby sideways and back it into the turn at wide open throttle. It slides as good as some sport quads. Absolutely awesome for a 600 pound ATV. Fantastic power, and unbelievably good handling. Like I said, it powerslides better than any other utility ATV I've ever owned, including the solid rear axle ones. And it still four wheels like a champ as well. We do a lot of ATVing on very technical steep mountain trails, and the last time I showed someone our best trail, it was another rider on a Prairie 650. The trail has some really bad sidehill sections on it. The Grizzly 700 did fine, the Prairie 650 rolled, and needed winched back up on the trail.

DV

Old 06-18-2008, 08:36 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DesertViper

Ironbear,

My dad has a Brute Force 650i, I have two Grizzly 700s, and I have had both a Prairie 700 and a Prairie 650 previously, so I am familiar with the two machines you are asking about.

My current Grizzly 700 SE is the all time best handling sport/utility ATV I have ever ridden. It is night and day better at powersliding than a stock Grizzly 700, and even a whole lot better than the solid rear axle Prairie's were. I have made a few changes to it to make it that way though. I changed to 25" Terracross tires on 12x7 ITP wheels that have an inch more offset than the stock wheels. These tires are the all time best powersliding utility ATV tires, and if you want to be able to powerslide I would highly recommend them. I also did some tuning on the clutch, by changing out all eight Grizzly 700 roller weights for eight Grizzly 660 roller weights. They are lighter, and the engine revs faster and accelerates harder coming out of turns. I also installed a Dynatek CDI that improves throttle response, and just generally makes the Grizzly 700 run better. The rev limit is also higher. Finally, ... and this is a biggie, ... I installed Ohlins shocks that lower the Grizzly 700 by about an inch and a half, and dramatically improve both suspension and handling.

Powerslide? NOT a problem. Sixty mph, throw that baby sideways and back it into the turn at wide open throttle. It slides as good as some sport quads. Absolutely awesome for a 600 pound ATV. Fantastic power, and unbelievably good handling. Like I said, it powerslides better than any other utility ATV I've ever owned, including the solid rear axle ones. And it still four wheels like a champ as well. We do a lot of ATVing on very technical steep mountain trails, and the last time I showed someone our best trail, it was another rider on a Prairie 650. The trail has some really bad sidehill sections on it. The Grizzly 700 did fine, the Prairie 650 rolled, and needed winched back up on the trail.

DV</end quote></div>

That's not really a fair comparison honestly. With the mods done to your 700 SE it shouldn't be compared to a stock 650 SRA. I'll tell you now that the Griz wouldn't have a chance against a similarly upgraded 650 Prairie SRA. The SRA Prairie is easily the best handling big bore utility quad on the market. I'm not even sure how much (if at all) the 700 SE would beat the 650 in a stock for stock race but I know it would be closer than the price difference...

Now my advice would be to ride them and see what suits your needs the best. If you can't ride them I'd go with the Prairie 650 SRA because it's just a solid, proven, fun quad to ride that is also the best bang for the buck on the market.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

Not a fair comparison at all. My Grizzly 700 SE would blow the doors off a stock Prairie 650 in any contest involving handling, steering, or suspension. It wouldn't even be close.

We also own a still stock Grizzly 700 and as I said we have owned two Prairie's, one of which had Works struts up front and a Works Ultracross rear shock. I think a stock Grizzly 700 could still give a stock Prairie 650 a run for its money in the handling department. Been there, done that.

The too soft front struts that dive when braking, and in turns, hurt the handling of the Prairie as much as the SRA helps.

DV

Old 06-19-2008, 10:28 AM
Banned

DesertViper,

Thank you very much for your opinions and suggestions. I think I'm going to go with the Grizzly 700. I can purchase an 08 Grizzly 700 (with power steering) for $6,400 OTD.

Is this a good deal?

Thank you,

Pete

Old 06-19-2008, 02:37 PM
Pro Rider

That is a very good deal. But it today at that price.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

not fair? i have stock Brute Force 650 sra i dusted Grizz 700 every which way he wanted run, In mud,water,sand and asphalt . Ijust had the carbs jetted,new exaust,and new cdi box and some other stuff 78mph..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 Grizzly 700 vs Brute Force 650 (strait axle)