Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Newbie: Polaris 500 ho stalls, no 4wd in reverse

Old 05-14-2008, 12:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie: Polaris 500 ho stalls, no 4wd in reverse

Hello

I am new to the hobby and have been driving my machine every night for an hour for two weeks straight. I let the machine warm up for about five minutes, ( because if I don't then when I switch gears it stalls) I drive it through trails but tonight I ended up at a dead end. I did the three point turn (okay seven point turn) through some serious mud. The quad would stall after changing from Hi to reverse and reverse to Hi. I put it into reverse to get out of this jam and it wouldn't move. I noticed that all four wheels didn't turn in reverse. Just the back two. Is this normal? I had to really fight my way out of there. If I don't have 4wd in reverse then I could be in big trouble if I get really stuck. My display shows the four wheel drive option in reverse therefore it should have this feature in reverse. or am I wrong. Thanks in advance for your help. Whats with this stalling crap?

thanks jeff

Old 05-14-2008, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider

are you holding in the reverse override when in reverse? you have to hold in the override when in reverse to have awd.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider

Right, the Reverse Override Button is the yellow button on the left handlebar control below the kill switch. Without holding it in, you won't have AWD and you won't be able to rev more than 3,000 RPM or so.

And your engine probably dies out because the ETC (Electronic Throttle Control) kicks in. This is probably due to too much slack in your throttle cable. Adjust the slack so there is 1/8" play and see if that helps.

What year ATV?

Old 05-14-2008, 02:08 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it shows 4x4 in the display when you hold the rev limiter in, that means the switch works but it's not engaging for some reason. No idea why. Sorry.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

A little stall is normal. It takes more revs for a Polaris's belt to engage than other machines. They make a clutch spring that really reduces the revs needed to move. Are you pushing the yellow diagnostic button in reverse? that's the only way that 4 wheel will engage in reverse. Its on your right handle. Hope this helps. If you check back in other forum chats their is specific info on the clutch spring i mentioned earlier.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider

A "little stall" is not normal. Neither of my Sportsmans have stalled not connected to the ETC or ignition key being turned off.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Pro Rider

A little stall is normal. I have a polaris 500 ho and you have to give it right much throttle to get it moving. If you are in the mud or approching a hill at a slow speed in high, it just won't go. Low is the best range for starting off in the mud. You must push that button for any amount of power in reverse. That primary spring that polarisryder was referring to does not lower the amount of revs but gives more power in high.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Let me firstly apologize for addressing the wrong problem. I got the whole "stall" thing confused with "bogging down" or "slowing down". I have no answer to your problem but your right it is not normal. Ill ask around and see if i have any answers for u. By stall, do you mean the machine actually cuts off.?

Old 05-14-2008, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider

my 08 500X2 will cut in and out in reverse with more throttle - unless you push the reverse override in. I was concerned about this as well - so I read the owners manual and it says that it will do this. "Excessive Throttle Operation while in the [reverse] speed limit mode may cause fuel to build in the exhaust, resulting in engine popping and/or engine damage. [In reverse] Operate the throttle just enough to maintain a desired speed"

Old 05-14-2008, 04:07 PM
Pro Rider

The 2 wheel drive in reverse is normal unless to push the reverse override in as others state. I am guessing that by giving it a lot of gas in reverse, while you were stuck, dumped a lot of fuel that wasn't being burned and caused you to stall. Next time you are in that situation - push the reverse override button and and see if it stalls.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Newbie: Polaris 500 ho stalls, no 4wd in reverse