break downs and how have you recovered
from it?

Cheers,

R'

Old 04-30-2008, 03:22 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trail break downs

Very fortunate to only have flats. If you ever get a bad flat and pop the bead. Sometimes putting a winch around the tire and squeezing will help re-set the bead.

I always carry a tow strap a couple of great multi tools, a mini set of sockets, plugs and pumps and have only used them on other peoples quads or vehicles.

I ride on boulder strewn narrow mountain trails that are not accesible by my full size 4x4 pickup. If I were to ever break a CV joint or worse yet an axle, is the quad totally immobilized until I can get to a shop, get an axle and replace it in the field? I know a jeep could get there, but probably not with a trailer to load it up on.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:56 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

we had to by pass my friends fuel pump relay on his old brut force once. i just rewired it to bypass it. flat tire which we drove it to a road and went and got a truck. over heated another brut bad enough so it drained most of the antifreeze. towed it to a road.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:20 AM
Pro Rider

Mostly just overheats.

Busted a CV joint once, towed to next road then 2 up'd back to truck.
Had the fusible link blow once. 2 up'd back to truck.
Good to have 2 machines.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:14 AM
Pro Rider

I was out rideing with some freinds once and a guy with a honda that had 30 inch outlaws broke the rear axle. When I say broke the axle, he spun the thing off at the hup leaveing the wheel behind. We straped his wheel to my bike and then had to take a ratchet strap and use it to hold up the axle(staped axle to his own rack). We then took his winch and hooked tightly up to another bike in the front and did the same in the rear. It took about two hours of twisting and creeping to get the bike to the street so we could go get a truck, then we had to push and drag up on the trailer. I forgot to mention that all of this happend in about 2-3 feet of muddy, stinky swamp that lead for about a mile.

P.S. That tire is just to big! It took up my whole back rack and it beat my back all the way back to the road.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Yea, so far and thank GOD I only had a flat needing to plug the rear left tire on my former
SP450. I highly recommend carrying a simple $4 (walmart) tire plug kit that comes with the
tool, plugs, glue.

R'

Old 04-30-2008, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my father seized our scrammy 400 about 5 miles from the truck and trailer one time. I used my 250 to tow him and the bike 5 miles back which was very boring.

A little off topic but does anyone have any advice on getting a tire off the rim and putting a new one on?

Old 04-30-2008, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: RticKwad

Yea, so far and thank GOD I only had a flat needing to plug the rear left tire on my former

SP450. I highly recommend carrying a simple $4 (walmart) tire plug kit that comes with the

tool, plugs, glue.

R'</end quote></div>

The yellow one? I have the same one ..lol
It's priceless!!!

Old 05-07-2008, 03:20 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I blew a belt a couple of times but in addition to the tool kit I had a 1/4 inch flex wrench with a 6 inch extension and the two sockets I needed to change the belt. I broke a tie rod end and had to wait hours for my friends to finish the ride and bring my truck and trailer to me. I broke the hub end of the lower <u>rear</u> A-arm on my old '97 and had to sit and wait too. It's a good thing it was the back because I was doing about 50 and could have killed myself if it was the front. Instead, the wheel just layed down sideways and that corner dropped like a low-rider while I skidded to a stop. It was because of a defective grease zerk that never let any grease into it for years. It was also the day after I was doing some jumps so that didn't help.

I was talking to a guy at work who thought chain drive was better than shaft drive because he could fix a broken chain with a piece of wire. I think a chain would be more likely to break than a driveshaft, but I wouldn't be able to fix either one.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

Mostly just flat tires on occasion...funny how much crap we get for the belt drives getting wet and I have yet to see this one pop up!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trail break downs