Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Off-Road Registration Stickers?

Old 07-24-2007, 11:59 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off-Road Registration Stickers?

A number of states have implemented ATV Registration Stickers that must be attached to them. These are not licenses, but an easy way for states to make a few extra dollars. Does anyone have any experience with police stopping ATVs for not having a sticker? Thanks, Jim

Old 07-24-2007, 12:17 PM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!

Yea, had a Conservation agent stop us during Deer season. He couldn't get us own any Hunting Reg's so he wrote a couple of guys a ticket for no State Registration. A $150 fine. Glad I had mine

Old 07-24-2007, 12:21 PM
Trailblazer

What State? I ride in Texas, New Mexico and Colorado......

Old 07-24-2007, 12:39 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

It's my understanding that Texas only requires it if you are riding on public owned land.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:05 AM
Trailblazer

hmm....never heard of such a thing

Old 11-27-2007, 11:43 AM
Range Rover

In the state of California you have to have a Green sticker on your quad. it cost $25.00 every two years. there is also a red sticker for curtain riders. if you get stopped by a ranger you better have one or you get fined.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wisconsin has a 18$ permit for riding in the state, even if your registered in your own state .

Old 12-17-2007, 09:28 AM
Pro Rider

Minnestoa just raised its fees for ATVs. We pay $53.50 for registering a new ATV for the first 3 years for public lands and another $14.50 for a private use (Agriculture) permit which is good for the life of the ATV by the owner. This allowes the rider to use it for Ag purposes only. After the first three years are up we pay $51.00 every three years. Comes down to about $20.00 a year if you add all the fees up for for 6 years.

I then add an $18.00 Wisconsin fee every year for out of state.

I can't complain because both of the states I ride in keep providing great, safe, and expanding riding areas.

Old 12-21-2007, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

I understand most people really hate to pay the fees, but think about it. Many of us live in states that have zero programs of any sorts. They relie on Federal programs in the Federal park system... and we all know how teh Forest Service can be when thinking about ATV's in general. The state programs cost money, and they have to pay their own way.. so a few dollars here and there are worth it if you get some benefit.. such as trail building and maintenence etc. They also go to pay for training programs etc. Here in VA, where there is no program available, we are at a great disadvantage. I would readily welcome a registration program if it meant that the State would finally recognize that we do exist, do vote, and would like to see the funds used to promote trail building and the State's involvement in working with land owners to get them to open more land to trail riding. I mean, why should Virginians have to travel to West Virginia, NC and PA for decent riding opportunities? I'd sure like to spend those dollars in ourown state if we could...

Old 12-21-2007, 01:25 PM
Quad Patrol

Post your state and maybe we can clear up some confusion for you. In California it depends on what you use your atv for.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Off-Road Registration Stickers?