Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

PLOW SETUP

Old 03-26-2008, 07:53 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLOW SETUP

Hi,
I am in the market for a plow setup for my son's 1997 sportsman 500. I am having trouble trying to figure out exactly what I need to level my gravel drive way and plow snow in the future. I would need a complete setup as it does not have a winch or anything else. I read that Swisher was the way to go because it has many attachment options. I really do not have much money to invest in it so I would be happy to find something used but I do not even know what I need.
Thanks,
Jim

Old 03-26-2008, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default PLOW SETUP

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS....
i am very happy with my 60 cycle counrty set up!! 375.00 otd at my dealer..i use a warn 2500# for the lifting, not that cost more than the plow set-up..you can get alot cheaper winches if you just want to lift a plow,viper,venom, etc. but i would not want to count on a cheapie winch for RECOVERY. hope I/we will be able to help you out..

savage

Old 03-26-2008, 08:47 PM
Trailblazer
Default PLOW SETUP

I appreciate the response but it is still Greek to me. I do not know what parts I am looking for. I think they are
1. winch or electric lift or manual lift
2. mounting plate (winch only?)
3. plow
4. plow frame? push tube? ...
5. control mechanism?
?????

Old 03-26-2008, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default PLOW SETUP

you buy the plow kit,that will come with th mounting bracktes as well.. you can also add a winch or a hand lift to the kit for a extra fee $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$..ui recomend the winch,the hand lift sucks!!

Old 03-26-2008, 09:02 PM
Trailblazer
Default PLOW SETUP

Do I need any additional equipment to mount the winch?

Old 03-26-2008, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default PLOW SETUP

that should come with the winch.. most winches are sold as kits also... i highly recomend warn..

Old 03-26-2008, 09:40 PM
Trailblazer
Default PLOW SETUP

I appreciate that but the winch will be used primarily for minor plowing and may never be used for recovery.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default PLOW SETUP

warn winches 2500 lb is around $350 gorrilla is around $125 on ebay with with mount and they are teh same parts from teh same company in china. if you whant buy yourself a spare but i have had 2 gorrilas and both were great just as good as a warn. and on ebay teh guy will helpt you with whatever parts you need. for cheap if not free. ii love my 2500 waterproof serieis but it is up 2 u.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default PLOW SETUP

you can do a google search for ATV snowplows to get more info. The Cycle country plows and the heavier Warn plows are excellent and a little more affordable up front but remember if you order online, the shipping is going to be steep unless you find an online store that ships for free. If you have a reasonable Polaris dealer nearby you may won't to check out their prices on the Glacier II plow, they are a bit more $$$, but you won't be paying shipping costs that tend to even things up price mise and they are excellent plows made to fit your sportsman with the quick attachment feature!
For the winch, I have the Gorilla 2500# unit and I'm very happy with it...it may be just what you are looking for.
Hope this helps and welcome to the forums!

just checked www.rockymountainatv.com they have the Tusk line of plows, (built by Cycle Country and rebranded as I understand), $340- $380 for the complete plow kit w/mount plate depending on plow width. All you need to add would be the winch
I may be wrong but I believe their shipping is free on $100 and above orders

Old 03-26-2008, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default PLOW SETUP

yea i heard that the mount on the cycle countys are the best idk i only had the cycle county but it takes all i throw at it. i push pig piles of snow with my scrambler 2/4 of course a run start and i have hit things that stopped me dead in my tracks or spun me around and no problems with the plow or mount i had it for 3 years so far i use my winch for the lift now cycle county came out with the new clip hook up system so just drive ofer the plow and get on nyour nees and pop it in then hook up your winch cable. the only lil thing that makes the sycle county not as good as other brands is that some are a lil easier to hook up and some have better ground clearance but they arn't as strong. and the push tube set up with the cycle county has some different attatchments for it 2.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PLOW SETUP