Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda Rancher Brake Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 09:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Rancher Brake Problems

I just bought a Honda Rancher and I am having some brake issues with it. The front brakes used to work just fine, but for some reason they stopped working. They only build pressure when the brake is fully depressed. The brake fluid level is fine and there are no visable leaks anywhere on the brake lines. I have even bled the brakes, but with no luck. Am I overlooking something? If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

open the brakes, find the water mud and muck, and come back we will talk

Old 03-18-2008, 06:15 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same issue with my '02 Foreman 450. LittleBill is correct. I'm saving for the disc conversion kit.
You will need to do this service every time you go in mud or water (the only two places I use mine!)

Old 03-18-2008, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Schickie

I have the same issue with my '02 Foreman 450. LittleBill is correct. I'm saving for the disc conversion kit.

You will need to do this service every time you go in mud or water (the only two places I use mine!)</end quote></div>

i wouldn't say everytime, but i would say every 6 months, the seals needs to be compeletely wiped off and regreased.

i have gone to the disc conversion on the front

Old 03-18-2008, 10:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for your help, but unfortunately I'm still not sure what to do. When you say open up the brakes, do you mean remove the drum and clean it out or do you mean remove the brake cylinders inside the drum and clean them out. I'm sure this is a stupid question, but I really dont know anything about brakes. I grew up riding a Honda Fourtrax 300, which didnt have brakes at all, the only way to slow down was to downshift or hit something. This is not an option for me now, becuase my son rides this bike and I would prefer his slowing down options to envolve using the brakes.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:39 PM
Trailblazer

Remove the tires and then the brake drums. Clean out the mud and crap inside and readjust the shoes. Put it back together and you should have a positive braking experience. This is alot easier to do if you have a repair manual.

BTW LittleBill, how does your conversion work for you? Is it as good as it sounds?

Old 03-21-2008, 12:04 AM
Range Rover

the the conversion kit by highlifter is great , stops on a dime , its well worth it.
I just bought a rancher from littlebills friend and it has many bells and whistles on it including the disc set up.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

damn mazzi, you on every forum i visit

Schickie, works pretty good gots some clicking noise to it, and the discs are bit thin for me, they are going to warp a tad, but having brakes is amazing, although i can't speak to the longevity of the system yet, only have about 300-400 miles on it

Old 03-21-2008, 03:20 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

Wouldn't hurt to take a look at the service manual!

Old 03-31-2008, 08:52 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: LittleBill

damn mazzi, you on every forum i visit

Schickie, works pretty good gots some clicking noise to it, and the discs are bit thin for me, they are going to warp a tad, but having brakes is amazing, although i can't speak to the longevity of the system yet, only have about 300-400 miles on it</end quote></div>

as you can see buttwipe I joined this forum way before you did.
make sure u show up for the snirt run.

Quick Reply: Honda Rancher Brake Problems