Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher ES 4x4 Not shifting

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 12:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rancher ES 4x4 Not shifting

Hi all-
I just bought this 2001 Rancher ES 350 and I'm experiencing an issue with the electronic shifting. When I bought the atv last week, the guy said that it will need a speed sensor to allow it to shift. Can manually shift it with no problem, however, if you push the up or down shift button, nothing happens. So I purchased a NOS sensor from ebay and installed it tonight. Well, it didn't solve the problem, so I thought maybe its the shift motor, so I checked it, by hot wiring it to the battery, and it works. I then thought, maybe the shifter buttons were bad, or maybe a broken wire, well I was wrong both were fine, however I'm only getting 5 volts of power to the switches. Not really sure if this is correct, since the battery has 12+ volts. So I'm kind of baffled. I checked a few of the other postings and tried to jump the switch thats located on the underside of the rear of the motor with no result, you guessed it, still won't shift. I didn't check to see if the wire has any breaks in it yet, will do that in the am, Could the problem be in a relay that I'm missing, or in shift module, if there is a such thing. I also checked all of the fuses behind the battery in the little fuse block, and all looked good. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:22 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The power to the shift switches are 4.7 - 5.3 volts ..

PM your email address and I will email you the ESP section from the 2000-03 TRX350 PDF shop manual .. They are easy to test if you follow the flowchart tests step by step ...

Old 03-18-2008, 07:59 AM
Range Rover

My friends 02 rancher had a shift issue i took the control apart and blew it out with compressed air and it started working again, the wire under the 4wheeler is only for shifting in reverse. Right now on ebay thiers alot of rancher parts so if you figure out the problem probly can get the part cheap.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Anyway you can email me a copy also. I seem to have a honda es 200 350 that is stuck in gear. Any help on how to fix and any documentation would help.

Also any other links.

Michael

michaelmcassisi@gmail.com

Old 03-18-2008, 06:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Anyway you can email me a copy also. I seem to have a honda es 200 350 that is stuck in gear. Any help on how to fix and any documentation would help.

Also any other links.

Michael

michaelmcassisi@gmail.com

Old 03-18-2008, 06:44 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: cassisi

Also any other links.

Michael

michaelmcassisi@gmail.com</end quote></div>

Can you shift it with the manual shifter if not you probly got a broke shift arm or shift plate i thk thier called. I had to replace the shift arm and shift plate or somthing on mine 1 was a factory recall other one broke last year. Mine is a 2000 honda rancher 4x4 ES with 1900 miles.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Look at my posting I just put up labeled "ES advice control motor false positive test". Coincidence???? I had the same problem. If its not the angle sensor, I'll bet you a cold one its the control motor.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well guys, I just want to give a thnak you to all that gave me so much help. Especially to HondaMechanic for all the elctrical troubleshooting guides. I tested everything, except I overlooked testing for continiuty from the ecu to the shift motor, well, turns out that a wire (blue/white) was broken and so the motor had no negative lead. Thought I found it I was pretty excited, then I jumped from the good part of the lead to the motor, and hooked a volt meter up where the motor hooked up, and nothing, still an open circuit. So I then thought, maybe the orage wire was also bad, well it was fine. I then hooked everything back up to the ecu, an back probed the orange (+) lead for the shift motor, and nothing, so I'm thinking that ECU is shot, even though all the other functions of the ecu are still good. Thanks again to all, I'll keep you updated when i get the new ECU....

Old 04-03-2008, 08:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, ended up buying a new computer and discovering that was the problem along with a broken wire going to the shift motor (Orange) after fixing worked great.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am having just about the same problem except, Mine is stuck in 5th gear does not flash a code , the motor will not start. The shift motor tries to shift the quad and so does the manual but it just returns and does not shift down from 5th. HELP

Quick Reply: Rancher ES 4x4 Not shifting