Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Exhaust Silencer - to make it quieter for hunting - opinion?

Old 02-07-2008, 10:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Silencer - to make it quieter for hunting - opinion?

Is anyone familiar with the after market exhaust silencers? if so, what is your opinion? thoughts? Would you spend $175 to cut 60% of noise and better your chances of not scaring game on the way to the stand or running around the property?

Old 02-07-2008, 11:00 PM
Trailblazer

Never seen one on a ATV yet but I can't get the deer out of the way at my place. Damn things I almost ran into one the other day stoped 10 feet infront of me.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

hah. lot of my buddies wish they had that problem with deer. feels more like a ghost town during deer season.

is there a lot of atv use in your area that deer are used to the noise?

Old 02-07-2008, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

i thought about this just the other day. it actually came upon when i saw the commercial for the bad boy buggy. advertises its quiet because its electric. well where i hunt it dont matter if there is noise or not. farmers see the deer all the time in the fields while plowing/planting. in the summer time my friend and i traveled his property boundry and saw 22 deer on our stock 4 wheelers. sound never bothers them. they look but if they never see movment then they stay put. a few times they did see us and just watcthed us drive by. besides you cant get the dry leaves to be any quieter anyways. so, for me, it would be a waste of money. and if you have hills and ridges like we do then you know its kinda hard to tell where the noise is actuall coming from.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:27 PM
Range Rover

Man you are lucky wish it was like that at my house.

I never really thought of it never road my quad to my stand to hunt

Old 02-09-2008, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used the Benz silencer. I have 2 of them. They work, BUT they cut your power in half. They claim some atv's actually gain power with them on but mine didnt. You cant hear the exhaust just the engine rev'ing, but for the power it cut down, I dont use them. Seems like it couldnt be good for the engine because it doesnt breath or flow like it is supposed to with it on. Just my 2 cents...............good luck

Old 02-10-2008, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hunt with a guy that has gone from a Honda Rancher,to a electric golf cart and back to another honda....he says he wasted money on the golf cart,the noise didn't seem to make any difference. I know from experience,that walking around the land you hunt makes game more spooky.We all ride to our stands and locations,and we killed 20 bucks and 40 does this season.We only have 2300 acres.But we have a good food source,and that will get the game to stay in our area.Pressure does more to run deer off .I hunt in Texas at a deer ranchmand the owners will not let yu walk around,they take you to and from the stand...no walking.Their ranch is only 2400 acres,and we constantly kill plenty of bucks.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:36 AM
Trailblazer

I have heard that when you silence the motor you hear all kinds of unsettling noises coming from your machine that you never heard before and then you start to concentrate on them.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:45 AM
Trailblazer

Noise should'nt bother deer that much,I ran a grapple skidder for about 15 years and never saw a deer that took much notice.Not too many atv's as loud as a big skidder and I had to slow down or stop many times and wait for deer and moose to move out of the way.Never had that problem out hunting on foot though....

Old 12-11-2008, 01:45 PM
Trailblazer
Default Exhaust Silencer - to make it quieter for hunting - opinion?"></title><script src=

I have used the benz, some other one and Kolpin Exhaust and the Kolpin stealth one is the best I've seen. The older models were bigger and power robbing the new ones that are short and less restricting work better, are easier to put on and work the same without the power loss that I can see.

I did notice some tranny noise I never heard before on my old Rubicon since the exhaust was not as audiable but it wasn't anything out of the ordenary.