Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Antifreeze type??

Old 01-24-2008, 10:14 AM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antifreeze type??

I have a yfz450 and my bro has a 450R. I noticed my water level was getting low but, I don't know what kind of antifreeze to run. Do I just pickup some from wal-mart or????

Old 01-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!

You"ll be fine with the stuff in the yellow jug from walmart. Just be sure and get the already mixed 50/50 so you can just add it right to your tank. It says it will mix with any other brand or color. I just drained everything and filled her up with new. I was able to do 2 quads and still have enough to do atleast one more from just one gallone jug.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

Ok, good deal. I appreciate it.

I live in Oklahoma where it's not odd to go through 2-4 weeks of triple digit heat. Occasionally we hit some trails that block wind pretty good. Anyone have any experience with the more expensive coolant that supposedly dissipates heat better. Can't remember name off hand. Engine Ice or something like that?

Old 01-24-2008, 01:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

There is water wetter and another one called purple ice or something but make sure that its not one that you add to water only (they use this for track days at race tracks).

Old 01-24-2008, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider

Water alone can transfer absorb and dissipate heat better than water/glycol. I doubt there will be any significant gains with various brands despite their claims.

Glycol mixed with water however in the cooling system is a must since it increases the boiling point, decreases the freezing point and acts as a lubricant and corrosion inhibitor.

The best way to keep your machine cool is by keeping the rad. clean and having a good fan.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:29 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Koopa

Ok, good deal. I appreciate it.

I live in Oklahoma where it's not odd to go through 2-4 weeks of triple digit heat. Occasionally we hit some trails that block wind pretty good. Anyone have any experience with the more expensive coolant that supposedly dissipates heat better. Can't remember name off hand. Engine Ice or something like that?</end quote></div>

Yes it is called engine ice, I run it in my DS and it stays plenty cool in the heat of summer.If you do run it, just remember to drain the cooling system completely of any green coolant, these do not mix worth a crap and repairs can be spendy.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:52 AM
Trailblazer

Do not run the cheap automotive coolant in there!!! The cheap stuff contains massive amounts of silica, witch will wreck the seals in your water pump. Use coolant designed for motorcycles and atvs.