Honcho 4x4

Old 12-31-2007, 01:22 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honcho 4x4

Hey i have just recently aquired a 1984-86 honcho four wheeler it is suppose to be the first four wheel drive four wheeler ever made. It has a kohler engine on it and an all chain drive system and the braking system is really strange I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this type of quad or how I can find out the engine model or size? any help would be appreciated

Old 01-04-2008, 09:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Honcho 4x4

Tank,

They used a few engines in these quads, from what I know...

341cc Engine Kawasaki
Comet Transmission
050 Chain
and ...

I used a JC Whitney Band Brake 4", had to grind down the keyway to fit it correctly. Make sure the hollow side of the brake drum faces out! The band will slide off.

The big thing I would do first is put some foot rests over those foot pegs, you could easily get dragged under those 26" Goodyears. The Moose Honda 250 version can be adapted without much work. Drill into the pegs, one side of the front mounts will mate up, the other side needs a little fab work.

The brake is essentialy an engine brake, working off a secondary drive shaft.

The engine was used (best I can tell) in early gas golf carts, most parts except the drive belt are compatible.

Mine is in mint shape, dad had it in the barn and took real good care of it.

Feel free to ask questions.

-Steve

Old 01-30-2008, 07:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Honcho 4x4

Can you post a picture of your Honcho??

Old 01-31-2008, 12:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Honcho 4x4

Just made a BIO for my ID with 4 pics, might take a day for them to review. The pics came off the cell phone, will try to get some clearer shots.

-Steve

Old 09-01-2008, 05:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Honcho 4x4"></title><script src=

I have a HONCHO i got for 300.00 dollars, it dosen't run at this moment.
It did run when i bought it, but now nothing i think it the coil or maybe the condenser not sure. I would like to find another one for parts or in a little better condition. I am making it for my kids to ride. Help would be good cause i am not to atv inclined. LOL

Old 09-02-2008, 03:07 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never heard of it before but those are cool. It's like a piece of history. They have them on craigslist too so you can have one to ride and one for parts.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just picked up one of these Honcho 4 wheelers as well for 175 bucks... one owner before me since new and ran up until this spring. The guy kept it up at his cabin and apparently mice got into it he believes... anywhere I can get more information on these wheelers??? THANKS, also this particular atv appears to be in excellent shape as well!

Old 09-16-2008, 10:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

Bronc, You got a good deal, I have seen them sell between 300-600. Seems any doc on the machines is real light. This forum seems to have more info than anywhere on the net. I am pretty sure they were made in Louisiana. And my guess is that it was a company that made golf carts (just a guess) as the engines are similiar to those used in early gas carts.

Feel free to ask specific questions...or if you need any pics.

What engine is in yours?

Old 09-16-2008, 12:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

I thought it was a good deal myself and I only plan on using it as a hunting vehicle or "deer puller". This one has the Kawasaki 341cc motor in it. I will try to take some pics and post them today or tomorrow!

Old 12-30-2009, 09:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

do you know of any for sale, i had one in the late 80s on our ranch and would like to find another one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Honcho 4x4