Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

99 polaris sportsman 500 electrical and awd problems

Old 12-03-2007, 04:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 polaris sportsman 500 electrical and awd problems

first off my battery died so i took it out and charged it, but while it was charging i still drove it. while driving without the battery the lights cut first low then hi beams and wont work.for that the bulbs could be just blown cause they were getting real bright when i accelerated.and now i got my atv stuck so i put it in awd and that did nothin just the rear wheels spun. im hoping that when i was drivin it with no battery i just blew fuses but i dont know if there is even any fuses to blow.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

no you fried your bulbs...dont run without a battery. as for 4 wheel drive i am not sure if it can be damaged by not running a battery.

Old 12-15-2007, 06:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

k thanks for that im getting new bulbs but i still cant get the awd drive to work it is useless in the snow i cant even get it out of my driveway any suggestions?

Old 12-15-2007, 07:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

could be a number of things.
Is the AWD light coming on when you turn the switch to on?
If not you could have a fried bulb, broke wire,or the linkage in the gear selector needs adjustment.

If the AWD light does come on and you are not getting front wheel drive when the rear wheels are slipping, you could have a number of problems. You need to check the wires that go to the hubs and make sure they are not disconnected or damaged. If that is not the problem,you will need a shop manual (or some who knows this stuff better than me) to test them.

Basically the front hubs are engaged magnetically when the rear wheels slip. There could be problems with the magnets energizing or some thing mechanical.

Update when you find out . This info will be helpful for the next guy.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had a similar problem. Was the voltage regulator next to the grill. I replaced that and the bulbs. The AWD won't work because the speedo is fried. You can take it apart and resolder the transistor to the PCB inside. I took the capacitor off next to it so I could get to it and then resoldered it back on. Works fine now. You will notice that the caps runs on the PCB are on one side and the transistors runs are on the other side. No biggie but just make sure you make contact with the solder on the correct side. This will save you a few $$$. Should work fine. Let us know.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:39 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

chances are if the lights got bright and blew the bulbs the recifer isnt controlling the amount of voltage which could do some damage to the electronics, make sure the awd light didnt get blown as well. if so replace it so it makes a circuit.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:42 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you were riding without the battery......................What did you do with the RED+ wire and the BLACK- wire...............Were they taped up and not touching the frame?.......................

You will still get a charge going to these wires when the quad is running...........So lets hope the (+) did not touch the frame!!!............Caper.............

Old 12-31-2007, 12:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

My AWD light did not work. It didnt because the speedo is in between the two. I just plowed with it all fixed up. works great again. yahoooooo

Old 04-11-2008, 02:32 PM
Trailblazer

You might want to invest in a service manuel for your ATV. The manuel will save you a lot grieve down the road. It does say to "never start or run the engine without the battery connected or serious damage may result." I read the manuel like the the bible and it has everything to you need to diagnose problems

Old 12-29-2008, 12:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am having a problem with my ATV not charging the battery up. I have checked all the power from exiting the the crank, Yellow, yellow/red wires as the manual shows and i am not getting the requried voltage. The manual kind of leaves off from there. I am not sure how to check if it would be the charging coil, or if they go bad. has anyone has had a problem like this?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 99 polaris sportsman 500 electrical and awd problems