Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How to Replace a Polaris Starter

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 05:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Replace a Polaris Starter

I have a 1994 Polaris 350 liquid cooled engine. The starter has quit and I ask at the shop how much to fix it. They told me approx. $200 for the starter and $150 to change it. I found a starter on line for $60, but when I fliped the ATV over to remove the starter there were no bolts visible. Someone told me I had to remove bolts from the inside.

Can anyone tell me how to remove it or where on the internet I might go to find instructions, besides purchasing a manual?

Old 11-01-2007, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

IF your lucky you can get the bolts out of the left side without removing the clutch covers and clutches. IF your lucky. If not, remove the clutch covers, the clutches(drive clutch takes a special puller) and remove the bolts on the left side of the machine that hold the starter. Then you need to remove the recoil housing and remove two more bolts holding the starter in. Remove the skid plate, remove the pos cable, pull it out. It's a little time consuming but not to bad to do.

If it's a 4wd, the center chain and cover will have to be removed as well.

Edit- one beer and that many spelling errors? OMG.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

I replaced the starter on my 2001 scrambler 4x2 - it was fairly easy. You will need to remove the right side cover. The bolt can be removed from here. If the starter has been broken for a while the "starter kickout gear" might be frozen. let it sit in some penetrating oil and work the tightness out - then grease it. Be sure to disconnect you battery before working on the starter. Good Luck!

Old 11-02-2007, 01:31 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

My Manual told me to get special tools and remove primary and secondary clutches to remove back belt housing plate just to make room to remove one remaining bottom starter mounting bolt!

Instead this is what I did. I took out the air box and removed the top easy starter mounting bolt. With the bottom stubborn mounting bolt you just back in off until it hits the backplate of belt housing,it will not come out but will disconnect.
Than I used large channel locks and turned the start clockwise until the bolt was at the 12 O'Clock position and slipped the bolt and the starter right out no problem.

I can,t believe my " Clymer" manual wanted me to tear down half the bike to remove one bolt!

BTW it turned out one of my starter bushes was sticking so I cleaned it up and it works great now.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:06 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TLC

My Manual told me to get special tools and remove primary and secondary clutches to remove back belt housing plate just to make room to remove one remaining bottom starter mounting bolt!

Instead this is what I did. I took out the air box and removed the top easy starter mounting bolt. With the bottom stubborn mounting bolt you just back in off until it hits the backplate of belt housing,it will not come out but will disconnect.

Than I used large channel locks and turned the start clockwise until the bolt was at the 12 O'Clock position and slipped the bolt and the starter right out no problem.

I can,t believe my " Clymer" manual wanted me to tear down half the bike to remove one bolt!

BTW it turned out one of my starter bushes was sticking so I cleaned it up and it works great now.</end quote></div>

The four stroke motors have the starters on the top(middle, sort of) of the motor and what you did works for those, but the 2 stroke motors like the 350 have it on the bottom of the motor which make it a lot harder to remove. It's two different beasts. Some of the 2 strokes can be removed without removing the clutches and covers. Most can't. I can't remember which models you can or can't.

Also, in the last 15 years I have only had a couple of driven clutches that didn't want to come off. The rest came off by hand. I wouldn't buy a tool for the driven clutch unless you need it. The drive clutch however, buy the tool or make one.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:59 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If a person plans on riding and maintaning a Polaris atv the front clutch puller is a MUST HAVE tool.Takes all of 15 min to pull the clutches and covers and save a bunch of cussing and scraped knuckles.
I would like to find a place to get a secondary puller reasonable.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:42 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>If a person plans on riding and maintaning a Polaris atv the front clutch puller is a MUST HAVE tool</end quote></div>

Our 97 Sportsman 500 had 3 belts changes and never had the clutch off once in its 7000 miles.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:20 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you ever have to do any thing they are nice.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

First time ATV owner, first time posting. OK, so i traded this guy for a 1994 Polaris 300 4x4 with a bad starter. He had already started to pull the bad starter but was unable to remove that upper bolt. I looked the thing over and since I could not get any wrench to work I decided to pull the clutch. Unfortunately, I have never done this before. I grabbed a wheel puller from work and gave it a try. The clutch came out about a 16th of an inch but no further. Now instead of a nice "chuff" when I turn the crank, it sounds like grinding. I'm sure I screwed up big time. I did not have a manual nor did I have this Polaris clutch puller that I found out about later. Sun went down and I threw in the towel. Any idea what I've done?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 12-24-2007, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider

Remove the skid plate, put socket on nut by the clutch cover and you will have to use a pair of chanalocks to tur in, lossen the one on the other side, flip the atv back onto the ground, remove the pull start cover then yo will see 2 bolts by the gear at the bottom and remve them then the starter falls out. It worked on my trail boss

Quick Reply: How to Replace a Polaris Starter