Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Gear shifter (selector) 88 warrior

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 09:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear shifter (selector) 88 warrior

Ok so i went riding saturday for a couple of hours with no problems what so ever i even miscalculated a jump and landed wrong but no big deal. I decide to ride again on sunday and discovered a very loose feeling in my gear selector, the bike goes in gear (all of the gears actullaly) but does seem to be off in a way that might constitute a rebuild, or something else, im not sure. So if anyone has some insight i could sure use it.

Thanks for reading.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider

do you have your foot on top of the shifter when you jump?

Old 10-29-2007, 02:58 PM
Pro Rider

No im wearing sneakers when i ride so i can feel when my foot is on the shifter, and sorry for not being specific with my problem, when i was in the sand yesterday bustin dohnuts the bike slipped or seemed to slip out of gear when i wasnt holding the clutch and then engine over rev'd, I cant sware to it but why else would it over rev like it was in neutral if the bike is in gear? With that the actual shifter itself is much looser than it should be, i can wiggle it! Of course its 17 years old so ill probably just rebuild it how labor intensive is the rebuild of the clutch and trans?

Thanks for reading.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider

Rebuilding the tranny could get really extensive and possibly expensive. The clutch is easy to work on and can make it slip and rev like its in nuetral. The shifter being loose could be an unrelated separate issue. Mine was loose when I got it because the ball joints on the shift linkage were worn. When you have a shifter mounted somewhere else with linkage to the shaft it can get real sloppy because all the play in every joint and the mount that the shifter is on itself adds up.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

Yeah, the loose shifter doesn't have anything to do with rebuilding the tranny. As mentioned above, either the joints are worn (I'd put $$ on it they are), or the splines where the shifter clamps onto the shift shaft are worn out. There is a shift shaft that runs from one side of the engine to the other that the external foot shifter hooks to. If this is worn out, it is very easy to replace. Just remove the clutches (I saw on your other thread where you need to replace them anyway), remove the clutch basket, and the shift shaft slides right out. If you do have to do this, make sure you replace the seal around the shaft in the crankcase. I would check the linkages first, though.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:10 AM
Pro Rider

Ok, that makes sense, the linkages look and feel really loose, it goes through all the gears but has a generous amount of play. Would i need to get the factory shifter and spline with new links (joints) or is there another avenue?

Old 10-30-2007, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

Probably best to buy a new shifter assembly if the ball joints have wear. Its around $60 for the whole thing brand new if you get one online.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

This may help, also: http://forums.atvconnection.co...key=y&keyword1=warpigs

Old 10-30-2007, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

the linkage does save you from breaking the case

Old 10-31-2007, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider