Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak 450 rear main? Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kodiak 450 rear main? Oil leak

I have an '03 Kodiak 450 I just sold to a friend. It has about 2,800 miles on it. it was running perfect when i sold it. on the first ride, the buyer said he took it really easy. he mentioned most of the ride was in 4 low as it was steep and he was carrying his young daughter. not sure how that might affect it. he assures me it was an easy ride tho.

ANYWAYS, a day after, he notices oil leak. I can GUARANTEE it NEVER leaked oil for me. He asked a dealer and they said it's probably the rear main seal. they claim the engine will need to be pulled to replace seal. Apparently it's leaking oil about a tablespoon per day, from the rear driveshaft area (the flexible boot area). I did have the rear driveshaft out not too long ago, to replace rear wheel bearings. I used a blue gasket material where the shaft housing mates to the (rear or engine??).

SO... is a rear main seal common on Yamaha kodiak 450, at 2,800 miles? It's been very well maintained. What would cause this? I feel really bad cuz there were ZERO issues when I sold the quad.

how hard is it to replace this seal? Any other thots on what could cause oil leak? how long should it take to replace rear main seal?

can you keep riding until you get around to repair, and just keep adding oil? OR will this cause damage, or possibly let go altogether?

THANKS!!!! I know there are a lot of questions in there!

Old 05-16-2007, 03:15 AM
Pro Rider

My wifes 05 Kodiak 450 started leaking oil where the shaft comes out of the diff going to the wheel. It only had 200 miles on it. When I got it apart it had a tear in the rubber seal. She had rolled hers on day one but had ridden it easy after that. It seems that those seals at least can go for no good reason.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:44 AM
Pro Rider

how hard was it to repair, and how long did it take? was this the rear main seal, or some other seal in the same general vicinity?

Old 05-17-2007, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Traildad

My wifes 05 Kodiak 450 started leaking oil where the shaft comes out of the diff going to the wheel. It only had 200 miles on it. When I got it apart it had a tear in the rubber seal. She had rolled hers on day one but had ridden it easy after that. It seems that those seals at least can go for no good reason.</end quote></div>

Mine leaked(if that's what you'd call it) just enough to collect dust....been like that for over a year and the oil level hadn't dropped from factory.

Old 05-18-2007, 02:22 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: nedflanders

how hard was it to repair, and how long did it take? was this the rear main seal, or some other seal in the same general vicinity?</end quote></div>

Mine leaked where the shaft comes out of the diff and connects to the wheel. It leaked enough after the ride to collect on the skid plate and drip a small puddle on the trailer deck. It was easy to replace. Remove a few bolts etc and jerk the shaft out of the diff.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider

so yours was leaking at the engine end of the shaft, NOT the diff end of the shaft?And seal replacement never required engine removal?

I spoke to a few people this weekend about this problem, as we had a big ride and get together of 60 people. Anyways, most seem to think extended riding in low range is not good and can cause damage, such as this seal going. Anyone have an opinion on cause? ( I feel bad for the new owner, but it's sounding like it was his riding style that caused it, and I would like to let him know so he doesn't cause any further damage to quad).

Old 05-23-2007, 11:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

If seal can leak from riding in low range, than it is a design flaw, not a riding stile problem. The quad is designed to be operated in low gear range.

Old 05-25-2007, 03:34 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Odessa

If seal can leak from riding in low range, than it is a design flaw, not a riding stile problem. The quad is designed to be operated in low gear range.</end quote></div>

i hear ya. I think they meant anyone spending long portions of their ride in low range is probably revving the heck out of the engine without realizing they're doing so. it's the constant high revving, not the low range, that might cause damage.