Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

'07 Grizzly 700 making noises :(

Old 05-02-2007, 01:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '07 Grizzly 700 making noises :(

Well I'm trying to be happy about the griz, and for the most part, I am. It's a great machine as far as capability, but it's being a bit of a... well it's not acting quite right. I only have about 4 hours on it right now, so I can maybe link these problems to break-in, and I hope that's all it is, but I'm still a little concerned.

1. Sometimes, immediately after startup, even if the engine is already warm, I select a gear and apply throttle, and it stalls.

2. Theres a pretty loud knock just above idle if you stab the throttle a little bit, rather than applying it gradually.

3. Something that sounds like a slightly squeaky belt is.. well squeaking. It's pretty quiet, but doesn't sound normal. It is affected by rpm, but oddly is on the left side of the bike, and hardly noticable on the right, where the cvt belt is.

Like I said, if it weren't for these little annoyances, I'm really happy with the bike. I just want it to run right!

Old 05-02-2007, 04:17 AM
Pro Rider

I've heard a couple of complaints about the EFI on the new Grizzly as far as stalling. With those and the problems during cold weather it appears that they may not have all of the issues with the EFI system sorted out just yet. These sorts of things should not be happening as they are exactly the sorts of deficiencies electronic fuel injection is designed to correct. Yamaha needs to start slapping around vendors (I imagine that EFI system comes from a vendor) get on this quick be it a tweak of some sort or a total redesign of their EFI scheme.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:50 AM
2TV
Pro Rider

I have had instances where it would stall immediately after starting when the engine is warm. I don't think the engine even got up to a normal idle speed yet as it was only a split second after it fired. Holding the starter for a fraction of a second longer seems to keep that from happening. Other than that, I do give my engine a few seconds after starting to normalize (idle to stablize) before taking off after a warm start, and I let it warm up before moving it when doing a cold start.

About the noise, I'm not sure. But if you feel it is abnormal, get it back to the dealer because it should be a warranty issue! It would be nice if you know someone else with the same machine for a comparison just to determine if what you are hearing is normal or not...

Old 05-02-2007, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

I'm still debating what to do about it. I would take it to the dealer right away, but it's 60 miles away. Plus I have a feeling they'll just say "oh that's normal during break-in" and nothing would change. I guess what I'm going to do is get past the 20 hour break in period and see what happens. If it goes away, great. If not, I'll take it in and then they'll have to deal with it.

Yamaha has a factory warranty of either 30 or 90 days, I can't remember which off the top of my head. What exactly does that warranty offer? If it came down to it, can I just return the bike or exchange it?

Old 05-02-2007, 12:19 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

I thought their standard warranty was longer than that, covering pretty much anything that didn't involve abuse or normal wear of some sort. I went ahead and purchased an extended warranty when I got mine. Also I think the manual calls for gasoline with an octane rating higher than regular (87 octane) just in case what you are experiencing is engine knocking caused by pre-detonation. I run either middle grade or premium in my Grizzly (and Raptor too)...

Old 05-02-2007, 12:24 PM
Range Rover

how easy have you driven it during the break in period, have you let it warm up nice and good during break in before you drive it hard at all, what I'm saying is we've had a couple 700FI's with the motor knocking problem and I know the few people it's happened to personally and its because they are extremely hard on it right outta the crate and right after they start it. I've had 3 grizzly 700 demos now(I'm a dealer) and they've all been broken in according to the manual and no motor knock. I'm not blaming you necessarily cause other ATV's aren't usually like this, but I wonder if the grizzly is really vulnerable to having major motor knock and other problems if not broken in properly?

Old 05-02-2007, 05:06 PM
Range Rover

my stalls as well i have 1400 miles on it and that the only problem i have had

Old 05-02-2007, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

Well I'm running premium in it right now, so I don't think octane has anything to do with it. The stalling thing isn't that much of a problem and isn't all that frequent, I can live with it if that can't be fixed. As far as break in, I've broken in 7 new bikes and quads (2 stroke and 4) over the last few years and none of them have had any problems. I'm pretty strict about following the break in procedures and I haven't ridden the grizzly any harder than those other bikes. I suppose if it is extra sensitive to abuse that it could be having problems, but i've been pretty easy with it so far. The main thing that concerns me really is the belt whine. I dont know what belts are on the left side of the motor, but it isn't related to the cvt (right side), at least not the major drive belt.

Old 05-02-2007, 06:52 PM
Trailblazer

have 110 km on my grizz 700 and havent had any problems its great but have heard of other problems but mostly just during breakin proccess.

yamaha 4 life

Old 05-02-2007, 09:49 PM
Trailblazer

I had the stalling promblem it went away after 10 hours,I think the knock is due to the fact the piston is forged and not cast a forged piston is more dense and requires more clearence the noise should get better as the machine gets hot,the squeak is the exhaust flange give it some time to carbon up it should go away.ride it enjoy it .ps if you get low on fuel it stalls too,when hot you will hear a noise from the fuel tank worse when low on fuel it is the tank venting .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '07 Grizzly 700 making noises :(