Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris 500 cdi ohm reading

Old 03-29-2007, 06:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris 500 cdi ohm reading

I have a question for some1 i was riding my 02 500 sportsman h.o and it started to bog and shut down and wouldnt start. I checked the plug and i wasnt gettin any spark so i changed the plug and i got nothing, so i changed the on and off switch and checked the wiring it looked good, it only has 700 mile's on it ..what i gettin at is does any 1 know the ohm reading for a cdi and what the stator is supposed to be @ ... if some could help me out id appreciate it alot . i cant think of anything else .. i didnt check the fuse because it bogged and ran horrible for a couple of mins before it shut off so i figured if any fuse went it would of just up and quit

Old 03-29-2007, 08:43 PM
Trailblazer

Try this link. It should help. Where in PA do you live?

http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...ighlight_key=y

Old 03-29-2007, 08:49 PM

could also be ur plug wire. ur wire could have chafed a hole in it

Old 03-29-2007, 09:36 PM
Trailblazer

CDI cannot be checked; when everything else checks ok then the CDI is replaced. CDIs are are almost always a sudden failure, much like a fuse.

At the plug where the stator wire harness plugs into the CDI check for 185 Ohms on the pulse coil, and 0.45 ohms on the charge coil, plus or minus 20% at 70F. Then check each of the four wires to ground, there should be no continuity to ground. Pulse coil wires are usually white and white w/tracer. These are off my memory so if you get slightly different readings do not be alarmed. The ground measurement must be infinity.

The ignition coil and plug wire can be checked as well. Primary side should be 0.1 to 0.4 ohms. Secondary should be 6 to 8 kilo-ohms.

I suggest using an analog meter as the digitals tend to be inaccurate under 2 ohms.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

im from the uniontown area i checked the plug wire its seem to look fine if the cdi cant be checked i guess i start from the begining with the stator the only things thats bothering me is how it bogged out ... i was told but i dont know if its true but in the throttle take it apart and i guess u will see two metal clips and " " when u try to start it if you touch the clips together it will reset the throttle but it was supposed to be done on a 2 stroke polaris in the 90's year range... so i dont know if its true or not but thanks for the input illl take every thing into consideration....

Old 03-30-2007, 04:49 PM
Trailblazer

The first test I would do is disconnect the kill wire from the CDI box. Simple, easy and bypasses all shutdown circuits.

Next I would look at the wires from the stator. Mine were chafed and shorted were they cross over the starter.

If you need some hands on help, I live about 30 minutes from you.

Where do you ride?

Old 03-30-2007, 05:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

im from around braznell . ill try what you said

Old 03-30-2007, 10:00 PM
Trailblazer

I had the same problem on my trailboss I got lucky and found a broken wire in the handlebar kill switch.

Old 03-31-2007, 01:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

there is so many different things it could be ...

Old 04-05-2007, 04:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm researching through a similar problem with my 2005.5 Sportsman 500HO.

Problem is no spark. Service manual says to FIRST check the kill/safety wire (black on my 2005) coming from the throttle assembly on the right handle bar. When the safety switch here detects slack throttle cable the contacts close and shorten out. My contacts are open -- which is good. However, the kill/safety wire is pinned in modular connectors at each of its ends. Do I cut the wire to "disconnect" it?

Service manual says to check voltage from the CDI box to the coil. Disconnect positive side of coil (white/blue on my 2005) and ground (brown) wiring from coil. Measure across the hot/lead wire and a ground point on the machine. Turn engine over -- should see 300 volts on my 2005 machine. I do see that.

I already have a brand new coil. No spark. I'm assuming the problem is with the kill/safety wire coming from the throttle assembly at the handle bar. This is the wire I'm asking if I have to cut to disconnect.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Polaris 500 cdi ohm reading