Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

how to tighten chain on magnum 425

Old 03-27-2007, 09:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to tighten chain on magnum 425

1995 magnum 2x4 . can someone please tell me how to tighten the chain. thanks in advance.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:47 PM

if its set up like mi trailblazer u take adn loosen up the front bolt on the bottm of the brake caliper and lossen up the two on teh rear houseing and than put a pin punch in the sprock and when it slides in u move the bike foward or backwoard to tightn it or loosen it

Old 03-27-2007, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider

Pull the suspension down all the way with a ratchet strap, Loosen two bolts on the axle , insert a punch through the sprocket and into hole in essentric and roll backwards I think, chain should be pretty tight with suspension bottomed out, like 1/8 to 1/4 inch slack.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:52 PM
Trailblazer

ok that is what i tried but i was rolling forward , maybe backwards will do the trick.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:28 AM
Trailblazer

ok i tried backwards and still had no luck

Old 03-28-2007, 04:07 PM
Pro Rider

Do as kirbbirds mentioned. WHen I did mine I had little luck the first few tries as well...same story as you. Can't remember if you need to push forward or backwards though?? You should be able to tell which direction to roll the machine. I remember having to roll the machine pretty hard to get the clamps to spin around the axle, the times prior when I couldn't get it to tighten I wasn't rolling the machine hard enough. Give it a good sharp push! Having a extra set of hands to hit the brake to keep the machine from rolling back and loosening the chain back up also helps.

It took me a few learning tries bofere I got it right also, keep trying, it'll go. ANd CRANK those eccentric bolts down tight. I tightened mine down to the 60lbs which was referred to in the book and the chain would loosen on me so crank them TIGHT!

Old 03-28-2007, 04:36 PM

id think at least with mi tb u rolle the bike foward

Old 03-28-2007, 04:51 PM
Trailblazer

well the chain does tighten when you roll it forward but when you let the ratchet strap loose the chain is back to loose.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:54 PM

TRY it wit out the ratchet strap maybe when u have it straped down its making it seem like its tight and its really not.....the way i have been told to do it is set on the bike and have some one eles tighting it up so that way ur chain is tight when ur weight is on it i think what is happening is when u have it strapped down ur putting to much weight on it

Old 03-28-2007, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

The chain should be "loose" when the ratchet strap is released. The chain tightens when the rear shock is compressed. If the chain is tight when your off the machine, strap undone, you'll break/bend things, chain, sprockets, shafts, etc... So, tighten the chain, when your finished up get behind the machine and hang or push down on the back, you will notice the slack comes out of the chain and it "tightens" the more you compress the suspension. Let up on the suspension and you'll notice the chain "loosen" up. This is the way it should be. If that all makes sense?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how to tighten chain on magnum 425