Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How to tighten chain?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 04:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to tighten chain?

98 Polaris Scrambler 400 4X4.... This one only has a rear drive chain. My "all inclusive" manual says to put a punch through the sprocket into the eccentric and roll fwd or back to tighten or loosen. Well, I can only move it maybe..a 1/4 inch. It doesn't seem right. I can't get it to tighten at all. I know the chain and sprocket are worn and need replacing but I just need to tighten it so IF I get it running I can move it to check out the running gear. It also seems that the sprocket is slightly loose but I guess it might be slotted? Any help here would be appreciated...

Another question I have is brakes..I think my rear slave cylinder is bad. When I pull the brake lever on the bars it's real spongy. When I push the foot brake, nothing. When I pull the front brake and then push the rear I get tention (braking) on the rear. When I let go of the front brake I have no rear brake. It goes to the floor. I have completely bleed the brakes three times no thinking I had air in the system but it appears that I do not. If the rear is bad does someone make a rebuild kit for it? The cheapest i found one for is around $100 new. Thanks for the help guys

Old 03-02-2007, 04:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need to loosen the 2 bolts on the bearing carrier, 2 bolts on the brake caliper holder thing then put hte pin in and roll it back or forward.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Since it a 98, you may have to grab a big pipe wrench and put it on the carrier and help move it. Sometimes even the newer ones can be that way too.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:30 PM
Trailblazer

Yes, use a pipe wrench. If its hard, try spraying a little bit of pb where the carrier meets the axle. (It worked for me)

Good luck

Old 03-02-2007, 09:49 PM

try what these guys said i would have replyed quicker but i had to leave

Old 03-03-2007, 01:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah, I am going to have to get a big pipe wrench. I was using the method that was in the book (using punch) and broke the friggin hole in the eccentric?Just my luck. On a separate note, it LIVES!!!. I rode it tonight for the first time. Overall not too bad. Seems pretty quick. The top half still has to be broken in and all I was told is run two tanks of fuel through it before I run it at WOT. I dunno...Sometimes it's hard to take it slow

I do have another question. The idle is slightly rough, I am guessing its just the nature of a 2 stroke but whenever I put it in gear it will grind. It might be because I was above idle but not sure. It was 18 degrees and past ten o'clock (didn't want to **** the neighbors off too bad) What can I check for this issue?

Anyone have a reasonable place to buy a chain and sprocket set for a good price?

How about any info on rebuilding the rear slave/brake cylinder? I have "some" front braking but I doesn't work to well in the snow. I really am trying to avoid getting a new one. Thanks again for the replys. Tommorrow I will have to get a big pipe wrench to tighten the chain.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the brakes can be bled just liek a cars...did you loosen all the bolts i said? you need to it should turn fairly easy and i would think about investing into a chain tensor

Old 03-03-2007, 08:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

maybe I didn't loosen all the bolts as you said. I loosened the two bolts that the center carrier is in and used the punch. What else was I supposed to loosen? The manual was very NON specific.

Old 03-03-2007, 09:03 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

on my 99' there were 2 bolts that holds the brake caliper that you have to loosen as well as the 2 bolts and nuts.

Old 03-03-2007, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by: Katy
maybe I didn't loosen all the bolts as you said. I loosened the two bolts that the center carrier is in and used the punch. What else was I supposed to loosen? The manual was very NON specific.
u also have to loosen the bolts on the side of the brake calaper

Quick Reply: How to tighten chain?