Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New to forums, Need help 1995 Sportsman 400

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 02:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to forums, Need help 1995 Sportsman 400

Hi all, I usually read here but just registered to ask some questions. On my 1995 polaris Sportsman 400 2 stroke 4x4, the AWD stopped working. I have asked around to know what to look for but have had no luck. I have been told the Electric AWD is a common problem but yet no answers. Any help would be very appreciated. I have no problem fixing it myself I just need to know where to begin. I bought the unit in the summer of 06 and it had 233 miles on it when I purchased. It is like brand new. Thank you in advance for any help on my problem!

Kesa

Old 01-30-2007, 04:43 PM
Trailblazer

Kesa, I have a 2003 500 sportsman HO. The technology may not be the same but one simple check would be battery voltage. If the battery is weak the four wheel drive will not engage. If you know the battery is strong you can simply check voltage leaving the switch and entering the electromagnets that engage the front hubs. The hubs are easy to remove and the magnets don't seem hard to replace.

hope his helps, Superintendent

Old 01-30-2007, 05:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank You Very Much, I am on it!

Old 01-30-2007, 06:23 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you push the AWD button does the light come on?If not you have a blown bulb.The bulb has to be good to complete the power circut.Does the bulb light up if you hold the shifter .The main switch is in the shifter and gets out of adjustment and can go bad.Check these and get back.
Brad

Old 01-30-2007, 10:22 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!

Your kidding.........RIGHT...........The bulb needs to be good for the current to flow through.......that means the circuit is in series.....That just sounds funny to me.........I am a Electrican and think Polaris should not depend on a bulb for AWD to engage..........I not saying your wrong by the way ...I just laughing at the way it works.......Caper.............

Old 01-30-2007, 10:31 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

Originally posted by: caperinmuskoka
Your kidding.........RIGHT...........The bulb needs to be good for the current to flow through.......that means the circuit is in series.....That just sounds funny to me.........I am a Electrican and think Polaris should not depend on a bulb for AWD to engage..........I not saying your wrong by the way ...I just laughing at the way it works.......Caper.............
That is how it works.And from my experiance it happens alot on the older Polaris.When you have a cell go bad in the battry and you run the bike you will blow EVERY bulb on it.Most forget about the AWD light until they need 4x4 and it isnt on.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:36 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!

You don't know what year they went from the bulb....to ......the icon(4x4)...LCD..liquid crystal display...do you????? thanks....Caper..........

Old 01-30-2007, 10:55 PM
Quad Patrol

Not for sure but the 98 Magnums still had the bulbs.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:22 PM
Trailblazer

Well guys i had to chime in. I have a 96 sportsman 500 and my awd light is out and my fourwheel drive is working just fine. Maybe a little different than the years before? also do you guys know how to change the bulb?

Bill

Old 01-31-2007, 12:44 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: ftwflh
When you push the AWD button does the light come on?If not you have a blown bulb.The bulb has to be good to complete the power circut.Does the bulb light up if you hold the shifter .The main switch is in the shifter and gets out of adjustment and can go bad.Check these and get back.
Brad

The bulb does not affect the awd. I have a 96 sportsman 400L with a blown awd bulb and it works fine.

Kesa
Are both wheels not engaging or just one? The awd on this generation bike is pretty simple. I'm gonna assume both hubs have the correct type of fluid and the correct amount. If your not sure check the fluids first. Make sure you have power getting to the hubs. Get your bike completely in the air, push the awd button, lightly push the throttle, check the voltage where the connectors are by your oil tank. If you have voltage there and still no awd, check the wires that follow down the strut. Those have a tendency to get cought and break, they are small wires. Have you had the awd coils replaced since your awd stopped working?

Quick Reply: New to forums, Need help 1995 Sportsman 400