Hand Winch?

Old 01-28-2007, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hand Winch?

What does everyone think of a hand winch, like the ones Northern Tools sell? I have a TrailBlazer and it is light enough to pick up the front end if needed. I think a winch would just be a little extra reassurance for me. I really don't want to deal with the cost and installation of a power winch when I feel I don't need it. It has 25' of cable and a 900 lb. capacity. For under $50 it seems like a good deal.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...70_48170_48170

Old 01-28-2007, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hand Winch?

I've often wondered if the hand crank winch on the front of a boat trailer would work.Might not be real pretty but it would be better than staying stuck.

Old 01-28-2007, 10:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!
Default Hand Winch?

I have had a couple of two speed hand crank winces on boat trailers and believe you could about pull a quad in half with one of them. That being said, you would have to mount it in such a fashion as to be able to turn the crank. This will require setting the winch out from the quad or building an extension for the crank attachment point on the winch so you could turn the handle at the side of the quad.

The big disadvantages I see would be the slow speed of cable retrieval with the winch in low gear and, if your in a mud hole, having to wade around a lot to do the cranking. It's also a lot of work.

A "come-along" type winch may be a better option. By using one or more pulley blocks you can multiply the pulling force and equal that of a boat winch. Again, slow and labor intensive but will get the job done. I would suggest spending a few extra dollars and getting a good quality unit as the cheap ones are not that strongly built.

Old 01-28-2007, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hand Winch?

I tried to post the link of the one that I am looking at, but it didn't come up as a direct link, so you have to copy and paste it to see it. The Northern Tool winch is made for ATVs. It has a ratchet to use instead of a circular crank like a boat winch does. It either bolts to or slips over the front bumper or rear grab handle. You can bolt it if you want it there all the time rather than when just needed. I got stuck today when my front wheels fell through some ice on a big frozen over mud puddle. My front wheels sand about 10" and the rear tires were on ice, so I wasn't going anywhere. I just picked up the front end and carried it to the side and was back on my way. I just don't want to get myself really stuck without an option. A little work to get unstuck doesn't bother me.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider
Default Hand Winch?

that little winch from northerntool wouldnt be a bad thing to keep under your seat.I kinda like it.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:06 AM
Trailblazer
Default Hand Winch?

I purchased one of these. I have not used it yet in a real life situation but it is a nice unit. Easily hooks to your rack and rachet style is very easy to use.

I have utility ATV with a winch in the front, I have it in case I need to be pulled out backwards.

I am also going to throw it in my snowmobile ( if we ever get enough snow to ride) for an easily attached winch just in case I ever get stuck with the snowmobile.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider
Default Hand Winch?

Thanks for the responses, keep them coming. QWODER: I love your Quadzilla. It looks great! 04Eiger: Where do you ride around Townsend? I live in Lancaster and my uncle lives in Mason NH.

Old 01-29-2007, 05:23 PM
Trailblazer
Default Hand Winch?

cdrmotorsports - there are alot of woods in Townsend and a few trails behind my house.

I go to NH alot, just joined a club in Troy that has ATV and Snowmobile trails. It is only about 50 min away and some pretty good riding.

I have also riden in Greenfield, NH there are alot of snowmobile trails but there are ATV signs on some of the trails, I am not sure what club organizes them.

Any good riding in Mason, NH?

Old 01-29-2007, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hand Winch?

Originally posted by: cdrmotorsports
Thanks for the responses, keep them coming. QWODER: I love your Quadzilla. It looks great! 04Eiger: Where do you ride around Townsend? I live in Lancaster and my uncle lives in Mason NH.

Thanks for the complement.It needs a little work though

Old 01-29-2007, 09:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hand Winch?

Originally posted by: 04Eiger
Any good riding in Mason, NH?
There is some pretty good riding on some of the power lines. There are guys out there all the time. I can get from my backyard to my uncle's backyard by riding the trails. I haven't treid it yet, but it is about 20 miles eachway.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hand Winch?