Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Z400 oil change question

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z400 oil change question

Hey Guys, Just got me a 06 White z400. I like it better than my 06 honda 450R. There's just no comparision in the detail from a Honda to a Suzuki.
One question. I'm new to this oil tank Dry sump thing. After I drain all the oil from both the tank and engine, do I add all 2.2 quarts to just the tank or do I add some to the engine till it comes out the check hole . The owners manual is really confusioning on this part. If it sits a while according to the owners manual the tank will fill with oil. I would think that the engine would fill up but the manual says the tank and to check the engine by checking the over flow screw. IT says to check the engine before starting, if it's set for over a week, but dosent say what to do if none leaks out. It says if none leaks out to take it to the dealer!!!
What do you guys do? I dont want to start it up till I know it's not going to ruin this Awesome High performance machine. I'd take this one over a450R![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-22-2006, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I don't have my manual in front of me so I cannot remember exactly what is says......

But as far as I've ever done I always just fill the tank......... As far as I know it will all go into the engine until a certain level is reached........

I will tell you to pour slowly and wait a few seconds between the 1st and 2nd quart. The tank will fill up pretty quickly but it takes a little time for it to drain back into the engine.......

One nice thing about the system Suzuki designed there is that you can carry a little more oil than most system allowing for better cooling..... I know guys who race woods and carry an extra half quart in their z400s, they say it helps them run cooler because the oil recycles around the system longer. Not that you want to OVER fill, but you can put in a couple ML extra and get away with it.

Old 12-22-2006, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider

dump in almost 2 quarts and let it sit for a few minutes and the start the motor. let it run a few minutes the shut it off, then recheck the oil level in the tank, fill as needed

Old 12-30-2006, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider

thats what i do. i fill it up ,start it for 30 seconds-kill than start for another 30 sec.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Help!

I'm a newbie to ATV's but tried to follow the directions on here as good as I could, however, I have some questions. When I drained the oil from the tank, engine, and whatever came out from removing the filter I filled up about 3/4 of a gallon jug. After changing the filter and closing everything back up, I slowly put in 2 quarts of oil, waited for a few minutes then started it and let it run for about one minute. After I shut it off, I waited for a few minutes. I checked the dipstick and nothing was registering on it; so i started to add the third quart. Once I added about another 700ml it was too full, so I drained about 350ml until the dipstick was at the full line. I figure its got about 2,350ml in it, but now after sitting for a week, it's reeding at half full. From what I could find on here everyone seems to suggest ~2,100ml but mine seems to want a lot more. Anyone have some experience or suggestions on this? I'd really appreciate it. I'm going riding tomorrow and want to make sure that I've got it right. Thanks! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 01-12-2007, 07:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Question answered. I just called the dealership and they told me that when its been sitting for a while, the oil in the tank drains into the crank case thus making the dipstick read lower than actual. He told me to run it for a minute so that the oil will cycle out of the crank case and back into the tank and then check it again.

Old 01-13-2007, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider

Dealer is right, on a dry sump system you have to run it first to get an acurate reading. There is nothing wrong with checking the oil b4 starting just to make sure that there is oil in it.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just park it someplace that is clean if it's going to sit for a while. As long as there is oil when you park it, it will still be there when you go to start it later. If it leaks out you will see a big stain on the nice clean floor.

The good thing about that system is that you cannot really overfill it (unless you put in like an entire quart too much) but adding a couple ML here and there will spread out because the system is so extensive. I've had pro woods and baja riders tell me that they run an extra 1/4-to-1/2 quart when they race long races so the oil will last longer and stay cooler. I usually run a little more than two quarts.