Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

1985 LT250E Questions. Newbie Here

Old 11-15-2006, 01:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 LT250E Questions. Newbie Here

Hey guys,

I just got a 1985 LT250E handed to me for free. It's in need of some work, which I am not a stranger to, but this is my 1st ATV. Anyway I have a few questions for you guys. So far I know the wiring harness is pretty much junk, so I have been going though that wire by wire and replacing what is torn and otherwise messed up.

1. The starter...well this one is annoying me fully. The actual top post where the positive lead is connecting, that top post is acting as a very solid ground, no resistance at all. I took the starter out and cleaned it, played around. I have it all put back together correctly, and without the communior (spelling) installed (the middle peice that spins) all is well, it acts as a postive. However the second I place that peice back in the middle and get it seated, it grounds out again, whether or not the bottom is installed or not. So what can be done here? Do I need a new starter, or are there some tricks that I am overlooking?

2. The pull start system is screwed, the guy before me snapped all 3 bolts that hold the rope in, as well as lost the spring that winds it back. If I get the starter working I assume that I will not need this, it kinda like my back-up plan kick start on my bike. Is that correct?

3. The chock cable/ lever is gone, how important is this?

4. WTF is the decompressor lever for?

5. Regardless of key position the lights stay on...very odd, I can only get them off by taking about the battery. I suppose this plays into my junk wiring harness, but any thoughts? Will this accept a univeral NAPA ignition?

6. So the reason that he got rid of it for free is that he stripped the shifter pedal, and that rendered the quad useless. He did purchase a brand new shift rod, as well as a new shift pedal. How does one install this peice? I can seem to figure out how to get the old one out, and the new one in? I would like to try and really fix it, but I'm pretty tempted to break out my welder at this point.

7. FOR GODS SAKE DOES ANY ONE HAVE A MANUAL THAT THEY CAN SEND ME?

8. The starter solenoid seems to be shot, will this thing accept a universal one from NAPA? Anyone tried that yet?

That's really all that I can think of right now. I really wanna get this thing running, I have wanted an ATV for a long time, but have been too busy with my bike and my Jeep, anyway if anyone chimes in to any of these questions TIA.

Todd

Old 11-21-2006, 04:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 1985 LT250E Questions. Newbie Here

Bump

Old 08-27-2009, 12:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'll try to answer all of your questions the best I can- I own 2 of these, one of mine is an early 1984 model, came from Canada, but I guess is considered an 85. The other is an 85 from the US. First, I'll say I love these. Second, I'll say mine from the USA has given me problems here and there and thus I have done a lot of taking apart/repairing.

1. Since I'm assuming your starter isn't somehow grounding itself out on the frame, I would say that there is a possiblity that the brushes inside of the starter itself may be grounding themselves out. Just check and see if the copper brushes are touching the sides of the starter at all on the inside. Unfortunately you'd have to take it apart a second time. Really, I would probably just replace it.... but with all of your other issues, read on first.

2. Yes, this is the backup starting method. On my US lt250e, I usually use this just for fun it starts so easily. On my Canadian, its hard to start with just the pull. That one is cold blooded. Honestly, if theres any way to use a bolt remover and get those broken off studs out of there, do it. You may need this thing sometime. BUT, it will do you no good with the choke lever.....

3. On my lt250's, this is a must. You can't get by without it. My US LT starts without it during the summer, but during the winter I have to have it. Also, if my atvs sit for any amount of time, I need this thing too. If you want to be really cheap, I guess when you want to start your atv you could unscrew the cap over the carb and spray a little starter fluid in there and you might get it to pop off, but that would be a last resort. Just replace the choke if you can find one.

4. The decompressor lever, I have to say, is basically worthless. Basically all this is is in theory is to start a hard-to-start atv after its been running for a while. It releases the compression in the motor for ease of start. Ive found I have never ever ever ever had to even touch it unless I was bored.

5. I'm guessing this does probably have something to do with your wiring. A couple of times during the winter mine would stay on too after I got tons of snow/ice/water under my plastics. I couldn't even begin to tell you where to start, other than follow the wiring directly from the light itself to whatever it goes to and make sure there are no bare wires. If you run into one you've already spliced, try disconnecting it and see if the light shuts off. Best advice would be to get a wiring diagram, and a service manual for this thing. It might accept an universal ignition, but I'm not sure. Never had to do it. Even if the atv doesn't run, flip up the red lever on the right side of the atv while it is in neutral- If you don't know, thats the "reverse" lever. See if a red light comes on. If it does, your wiring isn't totally screwed, just your neutral light is. I wouldnt bother with the NAPA ignition- if the key turns one click youre good. If it turns to the right 2 clicks and your lights work, you definitely dont need it.

6. I can't remember off the top of my head how to replace the shifter lever. Its in the service manual that you don't have, I know thats no help. But if you arent putting any money into this thing, I guess you could try welding it back together. If worse comes to worse, you'll still just have to replace the part you welded anyways. I always suggest replacing the stuff, but its up to you. Its your machine.

7. I have 2 manuals. One for each machine. They are identical. Get the picture?

8. With most atvs you can get an aftermarket solenoid and it should work as long as yours is a 2 wire and the one you buy is a 2 wire. However, I just replaced one 2 days ago on my Yamaha Kodiak. From yamaha its like 40 bucks. I got it on ebay for 30. An aftermarket was like 28. Just go with the Suzuki solenoid if its reasonably priced. That way you can eliminate the brand new part as a problem.

9. I wouldn't have answered all of these questions except for the fact that I love my 250's and my Jeep......

Its mostly because of the Jeep.

Can you believe someone traded one in here as a cash for clunker that was immaculate and now its just parts in a junkyard?

Old 09-21-2011, 04:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'd love to have some of the repairing manuals for basic
Atv ideas

Regards

Old 09-21-2011, 05:10 PM
Range Rover

Khalifa, this thread is over 5 years old. If you need a LT230 manual Google LT230s Vault and they have them there.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hello,
I just bought a 1985 LT 250 and am need of a service manual - hopefully free of charge!
Is this something that you could digitally send to me as a PDF or other electronic file?
Really psyched to get this 4 wheeler running
THanks
PeTey in MD

Old 10-22-2014, 07:32 AM
Banned

I have a repair manual that I'd gladly send you for a small fee.

Let me know if you're interested.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Question on the manual for small fee?

Question on the manual for small fee? Which manual is it that you have to offer? The suzuki factory manual or the aftermarket 'Clymer 'Manual?
THanks
Pete