Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

HAS MY CLUTCH GONE BAD ?

Old 10-22-2006, 09:22 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HAS MY CLUTCH GONE BAD ?

Went riding today & almost didn't get out of the woods as it felt like my belt was slipping real bad. I was able to get out of the woods only in low .I got home & installed a new belt & tried it out same problem the machine will not pull it self in high gear only in low & low is like high & again it feels like the belt is slipping real bad. Is it my clutch that is bad ? this is an 05 sportsman 400 with only 48 hrs ! How would I know if the primary clutch or secondary clutch is bad
thanks to all that respond

Old 10-22-2006, 10:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Most likely its the secondary that went. You can take the cover off, put the quad up off the ground, put it in gear adn see what the clutches are doing. The front should spin and the belt will rise on the primary while the belt lowers on the secondary. You can take the belt off and give it gas to see if the primary closes then you can just take your hands (with motor off) and see if you can twist teh secondary clutches apart with your hands easily. Either the spring in the primary broke, the spring in teh secondary broke or the buttons in the secondary broke. All are cheap fixes.

Old 10-22-2006, 11:53 PM
Range Rover

I can put it in gear & when I turn the secondary by hand ,the atv will move. I even apply the front brakes & turn the sec. by hand & the atv will slide the tires . so, while I'am no atv mechanic .I don't think it's the sec. clutch. I have the primary clutch off the unit & it doesn't appear that the spring is broken. Spring weak ? or mabe weights bad ?

Old 10-23-2006, 02:13 AM
Pro Rider

a similar problem happened to my friends 400 after jumping it.... it was the secondary... remember the clutch is still connected to the gear box but the inturnal parts of the secondary clutch may be bad... buttons.... slides... spring ect. that do not let it grab the belt

Old 10-23-2006, 09:04 AM
Range Rover

I will try to reinstall the primary tonight put the belt back on & jack it up & see if I can tell which clutch is bad whilt it is running. I assume that I can buy the internal parts for the sec. clutch ? b 4 I took the primary off it did move in & out with the belt off & engine running.I can't move the sec . clutch in & out with my hands ,it only moves the atv when I try .

thanks guys

Old 10-23-2006, 10:02 PM
Range Rover

Ok, guys, here's the latest . I took the sec. clutch apart & found the problem. I went to parker yamaha.com & looked at the diagram ,& it appears that the buttons are eaten up . The part that is called a RAMP appears to have some wear on the tips . I do have a few more questions. (1) should I be concerned with the wear on the tips of the RAMP as in replace the RAMP ? (2) What made these parts go at only 48 hrs ? (3) Should I replace with factory or go after market parts ? (4) Should I change springs while I'am in here for better more power or stay with stock ? I have posted in another area that the thing acted like it was changing from a low- low range to what it seemed like a 2 nd. gear ( not high range ) . This has been my problem all along.

a BIG THANKS to all that has responded for my call for help !!!
I wouldn't have had a clue what was wrong without this site & those who helped !

Old 10-24-2006, 01:32 AM
Pro Rider

glad to hear you found the problem.... the ramps (sildes as i called them above) should be replaced or your buttons will wear out faster

how many miles did u get on your clutch before the problem... if its alot then get the OEM buttons for cheaper, i think they are just plastic 3 or 4 dollars apiece (rip off) if your clutch likes to eat them then go for the metal buttons

Old 10-24-2006, 09:01 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Polaris500HO4x4
glad to hear you found the problem.... the ramps (sildes as i called them above) should be replaced or your buttons will wear out faster

how many miles did u get on your clutch before the problem... if its alot then get the OEM buttons for cheaper, i think they are just plastic 3 or 4 dollars apiece (rip off) if your clutch likes to eat them then go for the metal buttons

where do I get metal buttons ? Why dod this atv eate them so fast ? ( 48 HOURS)

Old 10-24-2006, 08:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had a 05 400 and the clutch went bad as well and the dealer actually told me that it is an issue with the 400 clutch that the buttons and ramps wear out around 50 hours or so if not before. Since you have bigger tires you may want to look into a cluctch kit replacing the weights and springs so you wont have any more problems.