Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Best ATV for Hunting?

Old 10-12-2006, 10:29 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best ATV for Hunting?

I'm looking for opinions or reviews for an ATV used primarily for hunting and some mild utility work. The trails I'd be using are basically old logging roads, shallow mud, etc. nothing extreme. I'm 5'11 185 lbs. I was looking around a 400cc engine, 4X4 and AT. Thanks, Jim

Old 10-12-2006, 12:08 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Check this large owner review sight out Real People Reviews just select ATV for Category and make,year and model. I would look at the 400 Suzuki Eiger not much complaints on that one and it has a low range. Dont buy any utility quad without a low range you will regret it.

I bought a Polaris sp500 because of this site and I was adamant about getting another Japanese ATV,but it seems people do not have alot of trouble with them of any year. Then check out a 660 Griz, man it's full of horror stories and that was my first choice.

Old 10-12-2006, 07:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I personally like AC and Polaris for hunting and outdoor activities. I rate AC first because of its speedrack, and differential lock, and it has the strongest racks available. You can attatch an detatch a hunting setup, camping setup, fishing setup, ect..... in literally minutes. Every thing from a gun scabbard, to an ice auger, to a chainsaw can be mounted instantly, along with rapid hunting blinds, cooking area, tables, ect.... If your an outdoorsman like me, you would love the Arctic Cat

Old 10-12-2006, 09:20 PM
Trailblazer

The Suzuki Eiger is a great choice. Good strong motor, auto or 5speed, hi/lo sub-transmission with 25in tires. It comes pre-wired for a winch, and good racks-front and back. It is set up very well and easy to use. You don't have to do anything crazy to get into reverse. Suzuki has the Advantage HDT camo pattern that is sharp. It handles well crawling over things or ripping down the trails. Give it a look, don't think you will be disappointed.

Old 10-13-2006, 01:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much are you willing to spend? From that, you can narrow it down a little. As far as utes great for hunting and exploring, the Arctic Cats and Polaris are great. Both offer great accessories with some sort of lock-n-ride type system. Both have IRS for nice rides and increase ground clearance and if your deer lease is like mine, that helps with the deep trail ruts. Polaris offers AWD or as some say, "true 4wd while Arctic Cats are limited slip and most offer the front differential locker which then makes it AWD. This is basically a personall preference, but both systems work well. IMO, I would avoid a quad that doesn't at least offer AWD or limited slip with a front differential locker. Yes, most places the limited slip system without the locker will get you by, but at my deer lease there are several places that the diff locker gets you through. And being on a lease of 33,000 acres that is thick woods, you don't want to get stuck off somewhere. Not a good feeling.

I would say to write down what you will be using it for mostly and what you want and the price you are willing to pay. That should help narrow it down a bid.

Old 10-13-2006, 03:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info. I think it's going to be between the Suzuki 400 4X4 Auto and the Arctic Cat 400 4X4 Auto. The difference in price won't change my decision, but I have an AC dealer 5 minutes down the road and the Suzuki dealer is 40 minutes away. 90% of the time, it'll be used to get to and from my hunting spots and hauling out deer. The other time it would be used for plowing out an occassional snow or pulling a small cart for home projects. Deer around my area don't get much bigger than 120 lbs, so I think either 4 wheeler will do the job. I am impressed with Suzuki's rider reviews, but a close dealer is always nice for parts, etc. Any additional pros or cons on the Suzuki or AC would be helpful. Thanks again, Jim

Old 10-13-2006, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: gavin1
Thanks for the info. I think it's going to be between the Suzuki 400 4X4 Auto and the Arctic Cat 400 4X4 Auto. The difference in price won't change my decision, but I have an AC dealer 5 minutes down the road and the Suzuki dealer is 40 minutes away. 90% of the time, it'll be used to get to and from my hunting spots and hauling out deer. The other time it would be used for plowing out an occassional snow or pulling a small cart for home projects. Deer around my area don't get much bigger than 120 lbs, so I think either 4 wheeler will do the job. I am impressed with Suzuki's rider reviews, but a close dealer is always nice for parts, etc. Any additional pros or cons on the Suzuki or AC would be helpful. Thanks again, Jim
Between these two, I would go with the AC400, b/c of the IRS for ground clearance and ride as well as all of the accessories AC has to offer for hunting as well as other stuff. In a drag race, the suzuki would win even though they have the same motors, but for pure utility, hunting and exploring, the AC would be the best IMO.

Also, from what I have heard, AC trannies are geared lower so you can pull a stump with them.

Old 10-16-2006, 12:51 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Originally posted by: gavin1
I used my 2004 Arctic Cat 400 auto for hunting and plowing and it worked like a charm. Check out my picts, it even hauled my moose out of the woods for me - however it took a couple of trips. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-16-2006, 08:34 PM
Trailblazer

gavin 1
Hey I ended up with the same choices that you have. Suzuki 400 and the Arctic Cat 400. I picked the AC Auto because of ground clearence. I got about 200 miles and not sorry I got it. I think either one is a good choice. Good luck.
Keppy

Old 10-16-2006, 08:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Catterman, Cool pics. I was in Juneau two years ago....I can't wait to go back. I've decided on the AC. It's got alot of good features and with the dealer being 5 minutes away, it's a winning combination. Thanks to all for the imput. Jim

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best ATV for Hunting?