Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

winch hard on battery?

Old 10-08-2006, 02:25 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winch hard on battery?

i was wondering if anyone else had battery trouble from running the winch when plowing.i plowed for two winters now my battery is almost done.im thinking its likely not getting charged up when plowing(low rpms).what is a good battery or solution for this?

thanks bubs

Old 10-11-2006, 01:16 AM
Trailblazer

The biggest thing with ATVs is that they don't usually get the usage that a car gets, so as they sit, the battery loses a little here and there and the alternator on an ATV isn't really supposed to bring one back from discharge state. The best thing I can tell you to do is use a battery tender, and get the one that charges and maintains. Other than that, if it's carbureted, try to pick up the rpm's a little bit.

Old 10-11-2006, 08:44 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i would say hes dead on in that post. your running your winch strickly on your batt so it will be hard on it if you use it alot which you do in plowing.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:42 AM
Pro Rider

From my understanding two years on one of these small batterys isn't bad, OK, OK every one that's going to tell me they are on the original 6 year old battery, save it, i don't want to hear a bunch of ,my battery lasted this long post's.
Sounds right to me that so little use on the off season won't keep it charged. I use my winches alot for plowing and if i don't run it at higher rev's i end up using the pull start. I've never had anything start as easy as my 500 with a pull start.
Any way, I'm on my third season with the second battery and it should be changed. I will when it won't hold a charge anymore.
If anyone has input as to battery tenders I'd like to hear about it. I have '86 Porsche that i store all winter and i think i should use something on it. It too goes through batterys, probably from sitting.
Also on ATV batterys, What is a better brand, I'm thinking if i get one from Tractor supply, it's going to last a year or so. I can't see spending whatever Polaris is going to get.
Deerkiller

Old 10-11-2006, 09:57 AM
Range Rover

to charge your battery you have to be moving a certain RPM, since cars have alternators, and quads have Magnetos. Your battery wont really charge just idoling.
What type of winch is it?

Old 10-11-2006, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider

I've used a battery tender jr. like THIS ONE for years.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:35 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just another suggestion here...........You can get a manual lift for your plow........I am getting a plow this year and AM going to get the manual lift ...I was going to get it due to the fact of wearing out the end of the cable.............but now I have another reason.............caper................

Old 10-12-2006, 03:36 AM
Pro Rider

anybody who doesn't have a battery tender ....get one !!!! they are great..i switch it between the hot rod and the wolvy. always have a super crisp start,cant overcharge,makes battery last longer. i have the jr. and only paid like $25 or so for it. best thing since sliced bread. and no i don't work for them or sell them.my so-called good charger isn't needed anymore!

Old 10-12-2006, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider

The Battery tender Jr sounds good, where did you get yours for $25.00.
Deerkiller

Old 10-12-2006, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider

There's a bunch on ebay right now, from $26 w/ free shipping on up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: winch hard on battery?